India successfully test-fires advanced interceptor missile
- In its effort to have a full fledged multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system, India on Sunday, successfully test-fired its indigenously developed supersonic interceptor missile, capable of destroying any incoming hostile ballistic missile, from a test range off Odisha coast.
- The test conducted to validate various parameters of the interceptor in flight mode has been successful
- The interceptor was engaged against a target which was a naval version of Prithvi missile launched from a ship anchored inside Bay of Bengal, taking up the trajectory of a hostile ballistic missile.
- Intech DMLS Limited, a metal 3D printing provider and metal additive manufacturing establishment in aviation sector, has launched the country's first indigenously developed jet engine series.
- Jet engines has been developed by a private establishment and augurs well for the industry in looking inwards for innovation in the high technology aviation sector,
- The company was established in 2012 and has its headquarters in Bengaluru specialises in metal 3D printing provider and metal additive manufacturing.
- With this India has become the first country in Asia and only the fourth country after the US, Europe and Israel to indigenously develop such an engine in the private space.
- The engine MJE 20 is indigenously designed and manufactured with a thrust of 20 Kgf. It is currently undergoing testing at our Bengaluru facility.
- Another Jet engine SJE-350 with a thrust of 350kgf, designed for strategic applications is currently being manufactured. The company also plans to expand into the Turbo Shaft/Fan category in the near future
Ajay Tyagi to Succeed UK Sinha as SEBI Chairman
- According to a government notification on February 10, 2017, senior IAS officer Ajay Tyagi has been selected to take over as the next Chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI). He will replace incumbent Chief UK Sinha who retires on March 1, 2017.
- Tyagi, a 1984-batch IAS officer of the Himachal Pradesh cadre is currently serving as an additional secretary (investments) in the Department of Economic Affairs in the Ministry of Finance. Tyagi will be the 9th SEBI chairman.
- The 58-year-old Tyagi served as a Joint Secretary in Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change before joining Finance Ministry on November 1, 2014 as Additional Secretary.
- Tyagi has also worked in ministries of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Steel and Rural Development. He has held various posts in Himachal Pradesh government including in power, revenue, finance and information technology.
- Tyagi, for a short while, was also on the board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Sudarsan Pattnaik creates Guinness World Record for making tallest sand castle
- Famous sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik on Saturday created a Guinness World Record by building the world’s tallest sand castle which is 48 feet and 8 inch (14.84 metre) at the Puri beach here.
- Sudarsan has broken the record of 45 feet and 10 inch sand castle which was created in USA, a Guinness World Records official said.
- After verifying all the criteria of the sand castle, the official of Guinness World Records Swapnil Dangarikar presented a certificate to Sudarsan for the achievement.
- Sudarsan and his 45 students took about 9 days to prepare this sculpture. The sand sculpture was built with theme of World Peace.
GMR Hyderabad Airport bags CAPA award
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, which operates Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, has won the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) Chairman’s Order of Merit for its focus on environmental sustainability and becoming the first airport in Asia Pacific to become carbon neutral.
- GHIAL received the award during the CAPA 12 Annual India Aviation Summit in Mumbai earlier this week. CAPA India is a specialist aviation consulting and research practice in South Asia, with the region’s largest team of analysts and a portfolio of more than 125 advisory and research projects.
- Airports Council International (ACI) has certified Hyderabad International Airport with Level 3+ Neutrality under its Airport Carbon Accreditation programme.
Hindustan Motors sells Ambassador car brand to Peugeot
- Ambassador, the iconic Indian car brand that till less than a decade ago carried both the Prime Minister and the common man, is being sold to French carmaker Peugeot
- It is not clear if Peugeot will use the Ambassador brand for its cars in India. A questionnaire mailed to the French company remained unanswered.
- The Ambassador brand was introduced seven decades ago when Hindustan Motors launched the Morris Oxford series II (Landmaster) in a new avatar with minor changes.
Naval drill Aman-17 with 37 nations begins in Karachi
- The multinational Aman-17 naval exercise kicked off in Karachi on Friday with 37 countries taking part in the event.
- Aman-17 is the fifth such exercise which Pakistan has been holding every alternate year since 2007.
- Commander of the Pakistani naval fleet Vice Admiral Arifullah Hussaini inaugurated the exercise, which includes Australia, China, Indonesia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Britain, the US, Japan and Russia at the Karachi dockyard.
Hunar Haat” starts in Delhi
- Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi inaugurated the second edition of “Hunar Haat” -- an exhibition to encourage, promote and provide national and international market to master artisans and craftsmen of Minority communities from across the country.
- With the theme “Craft Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam”, the second chapter of “Hunar Haat” is being organised from February 11 to 26 at State Emporia Complex, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi.
- On the occasion, Mr Naqvi said this “Hunar Haat” is unique in the sense that it has been showcasing crafts and traditional cuisines brought from different parts of the country. “Hunar Haat” is being organised through National Minorities Development and; Finance Corporation (NMDFC) under Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (USTTAD) scheme of the Minority Affairs Ministry.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here