BP Kanungo appointed RBI Deputy Governor
- BP Kanungo was on Friday appointed Deputy Governor in Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved his appointment to the post with effect from the date of taking over the charge on or after April 3
- He has been appointed in place of R Gandhi.
- Kanungo was in March last year appointed as Executive Director in the central bank.
- The ACC has also named Dilip S Shanghvi as Member, Western Local Board of RBI.
- The appointment of Shanghvi, the promoter of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries , to the post is for a period of four years.
Test GK Digest Beta Application here
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) decides appointments to several top posts under the Government of India. The committee is composed of the Prime Minister of India (who is the Chairman), the Minister of Home Affairs.
- The following four are the more important cabinet committees:
- The Political Affairs Committee deals with all policy matters pertaining to domestic and foreign affairs.
- The Economic Affairs Committee directs and coordinates the governmental activities in the economic sphere.
- Appointment Committee decides all higher level appointments in the Cabinet Secretariat, Public enterprises, Banks and Financial Institutions.
- Parliamentary Affairs Committee looks after the progress of government business in the Parliament.
Narendra Kumar takes over as Chairman Central Water Commission
- Shri Narendra Kumar, an officer of Central Water Engineering Service (1979 batch) has assumed the charge of Chairman, Central Water Commission (CWC).
Areas Served by Narendra Kumar
- He has served in various capacities in CWC as Assistant Director in Design Organisation
- He has also served as Senior Joint Commissioner in Command Area Development wing of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation from 2002 to 2005.
- From 2009 to 2011, he served as Chief Engineer, Brahmaputra and Barak Basin, Shillong.
- He was also member of Experts Committee for Scientific Assessment of flood prone area in India and Standing Committee for Morphological studies of Indian rivers.
- He took over as Member (River Management) of Central Water Commission in October 2014.
Mission of Central Water Commission
- To promote sustainable and integrated development and management of India's water resources by using state of the art technology and competency and by coordinating all stakeholders.
‘International Vision Zero Conference’ on Occupational, Safety and Health
- The international conference on the VISION ZERO and its relevance to Occupational Safety and Health (OSH), is being organized from 15th to 17th, March 2017 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi by Directorate General Factory Advice and Labour Institutes (DGFASLI), Government of India, Ministry of Labour and Employment and German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV), Germany in association with International Social Security Association (ISSA).
- An exhibition on OSH is also being organized during the conference from 15th to 17th March, 2017 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The exhibition will provide the most efficient platform to support technological communication and business trade. The exhibition segments will show-case personal protective equipment (PPEs), health at work, high-risk prevention, environmental protection at work, etc.
- To focus on the Occupational Safety and Health issues and challenges in the Manufacturing, Construction and Mining sector.
Kiren Rijiju launches MySSB APP
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs of India. launched a mobile application "MySSB" in New Delhi
- Nearly three months after BSF constable Tej Bahadur accused his force of serving poor quality of food and his seniors of siphoning ration money meant for soldiers, nearly all Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) have developed their own application to address soldiers' grievances.
- The application will have soldiers' financial accounts, designations, and grievances. The stress is on making the application interactive
- Sashastra Seema Bal or SSB, in English the Armed Border Force (rarely translated into English in Indian usage), is one of India's Central Armed Police Forces. It is currently under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Government of India. Prior to 2001, the force was known as the Special Service Bureau (SSB)
- Headquarters New Delhi
- Minister responsible Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- Agency executive Archana Ramasundram IPS, Director-General,
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here