DMRC enters Limca Book of Records
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has entered the Limca Book of World Records for erecting 200 U-shaped girders, the maximum to be launched on any metro corridor in the country within a month.
- Girders bear the load of the metro tracks and help speed up construction work.The feat had significantly expedited the progress of construction on the corridor.A total of 2002 such girders, structures that support small beams, were erected for the 30-km-long Noida –Greater Noida corridor which will have 21 stations.
Facts About DMRC
- Number of stations: 160, including 6 Airport Express stations
- Chief executive: Mangu Singh, MD
- Headquarters Metro Bhawan, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi
- Delhi Metro is the world's 12th largest metro system in terms of both length and number of stations
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has been certified by the United Nations as the first metro rail and rail-based system in the world to get "carbon credits for reducing greenhouse gas emissions" and helping in reducing pollution levels in the city by 630,000 tonnes every year
INHS ASVINI Mumbai Adjudged best service Hospital in the AFMS
- The Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar presented the Raksha Mantris Trophy and Citation for the best Service Hospital in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) for the year 2016 to INHS Asvini, Mumbai
- The Command Hospital (Southern Command), Pune and Command Hospital (Northern Command) Udhampur were jointly adjudged the second best Service Hospitals. The Defence Minister gave away the trophies and citations to the Commandant, Command Hospital (Southern Command) Pune, Maj General R Grewal and Commandant, Command Hospital (Northern Command) Udhampur, Maj General N Naithani.
Facts About Raksha Mantri Trophy
- The Raksha Mantri Trophy was instituted in 1989 to identify and acknowledge excellence in patient care and hospital management among Command and equivalent hospitals of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
Facts About INHS Asvini
- It is the first of amongst all the Naval hospitals
- Started functioning in 1756 as King’s Seamen Hospital for in- patients.
- In 1860 the Octagonal building No. 3 (Hawa Mahal) was constructed as the Main Ward of Bombay Marine Hospital
- On 18 September 1951 that Military Hospital, Colaba was commissioned into the Navy and christened as INHS Asvini.
Swachhta Pakhwada being observed by the Ministry of Women & Child Development throughout the country
- The Ministry of Women & Child Development is observing the Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st March 2017 to 15th March 2017, to raise awareness about Swachh Bharat Abhiyan among women and children.
- The Swachhta Pakhwada is observed by various Ministries of Government of India to achieve the goal of universal sanitation, hygiene and ‘open defecation free’ India by 2019.
- As a part of nationwide activities, the Ministry has written to all the states to observe the Swachhta Pakhwada through the wide network of Anganwadi Centres (AWCs) across the country
- Senior officials will be leading visits to childcare institutions and creches and will hold sessions on proper cleaning of toys, health and hygiene, food habits and safety.
- Visits will also be made to One Stop Centres, Swadhar Grehs and Ujjawala Homes to check the cleanliness of premises and conduct sessions on life skill education for adolescents and film screenings, slogan writing and pledge on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Facts About Ministry of Women & Child DevelopmentFormed: 30 January 2006
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: Shastri Bhawan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi
- Cabinet minister: Maneka Gandhi
- Minister of state: Krishna Raj
Senior IAS officer T Jacob Appointed as Secretary UPSC
- Senior IAS officer T Jacob was appointed as Secretary, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- He will hold the rank of an Additional Secretary in the Government of India.Vandita Sharma, member (Finance), Atomic Energy/ Earth Commission, has been appointed as Additional Secretary and Financial Adviser in the Department of Space in place of A Vijay Anand, who had retired.
- Nutan Guha Biswas, currently serving as Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Women and Child Development, has been appointed as Chairperson, Inland Waterways of India in the rank of a Secretary.
Facts About T Jacob
- 1984 batch Tamil Nadu cadre officer,
- Served as Additional Secretary in the Department of Personnel and Training
Facts About UPSC
- Union Public Service Commission
- Formation: 1 October 1926
- Headquarters: Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi
- Chairman: David R. Syiemlieh
Kerala tops in GST registrations
- Kerala has achieved the maximum number of registrations under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime with at least 60 per cent of an estimated 2.5 lakh traders migrating to the new platform.
- Its record becomes even more significant considering the fact that these registrations are complete in all respects, including the crucial provision of digital signatures
- Commercial Taxes Department has extended until March 15 the time for GST registrations for those who have not been able to do it until now.
- Propreitorship businesses may use the facility for E-sign using the Adhaar number to register without digital signatures. This facility is available on the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in).
- The department has also set up help numbers 0471-155300 (BSNL) and 0471-2115098 (all other networks) for clarifying their doubts with respect to registrations.
Facts About GST
- Goods and Service Tax
- Chairman of GST Council: Arun Jaitley.
- It is comprehensive indirect tax on manufacture, sale and consumption of goods and services throughout India, to replace taxes levied by the central and state governments.
Barack Obama Named Recipient of JFK Profile in Courage Award
- Former President Barack Obama was named the 2017 winner of the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award for carrying on his fellow Democrat's legacy.
- Caroline Kennedy and her son, Jack Schlossberg, will present Obama with the award May 7 at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston.
Facts About JFK Profile in Courage Award
- It is a private award given to recognize displays of courage similar to those John F. Kennedy described in his book Profiles in Courage.
- The winners of the award are selected by a bi-partisan committee named by the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, which includes members of the Kennedy family and other prominent Americans.
- It is generally awarded each year around the time of Kennedy's birthday (May 29) at a ceremony at the Kennedy Library in Boston.
HDFC Life ties-up with ET Money to launch data-led policy
- HDFC Life today announced the launch of an exclusive data-led group term insurance plan in partnership with ET Money, the Times Internet backed financial services app.
- This is the country's first term insurance plan based on the spend pattern of the users
- This financial planning management app brings insurance at the finger-tips of the discerning new-age generation,
- Offered as an ET Money benefit, the group term life insurance plan can be availed exclusively by 1 million users of the ET MONEY app.
- One can get a group term life insurance coverage that ranges anywhere from Rs
- 25-50 lakh and it will be based on spend pattern of the user, the statement added.
Facts About HDFC
- Founded: 2000
- Headquarters: Mumbai, India
- CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry,
- CFO: Ms. Vibha Padalkar
Sudhin Mathur appointed Motorola India Managing Director
- Sudhin Mathur has been named Managing Director of Motorola Mobility India and has been inducted as a full-time director on the company's Board.
- He will also continue to serve in the role of Executive Director for Lenovo MBG India. Mathur replaces Amit Boni, who was serving as General Manager for Motorola India. In October 2016, Boni transitioned to the global strategy team within the company
- Mathur has been running the operations for Lenovo MBG in India since its inception here four years ago and has been instrumental in leading the seamless integration of Motorola and Lenovo mobile businesses
Facts About Motorola
- American multinational telecommunications company
- Headquarters: Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
- Founded: 25 September 1928, Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Parent organization: Lenovo
- Founders: Joseph Galvin, Paul Galvin
Bakri Hassan Saleh sworn in as Sudan’s first PM
- A former army general and top aide to President Omar al-Bashir was sworn in as Sudan’s first prime minister since the post was scrapped in a 1989 Islamist-backed coup.
- Bakri Hassan Saleh, a military officer involved in the bloodless coup that brought Bashir to power three decades ago, was named prime minister by the executive bureau of the president’s National Congress Party (NCP).
- Saleh, 68, who will also retain his current post of Sudan’s first vice president, was sworn in at a presidential palace in Khartoum.
- Bashir had led the 1989 coup against then-prime minister Sadiq al-Mahdi with the help of Islamist leader Hassan al-Turabi.
Facts About Sudan
- Republic of the Sudan, is a country in Northern Africa
- Capital: Khartoum
- Currency: Sudanese pound
- President: Omar al-Bashir
P K Purwar appointed MTNL CMDP
- K Purwar was appointed Chairman and Managing Director of state-run telecom major Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment to the post for five years
- Purwar is currently working as Director (Finance) in MTNL, which has been without a full-time CMD since May 31, 2014, following superannuation of A K Garg.
- Purwar held the additional charge of the post of MTNL CMD between June 2014 and June 2015. In June last year, he was again given this additional charge.
Facts About MTNL
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Pravin Kumar Purwar (2014–)
- Founded: 1 April 1986
JNU bags 'Visitor's Award' for best university
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has bagged the annual 'Visitor's Award' for the best varsity in the country.
- The winners of Visitor's Award for 'Innovation' and 'Research' will receive a citation and cash award of Rs one lakh. The awards will be presented during a function as part of the 'Festival of Innovations
- JNU Vice Chancellor Jagadesh Kumar will receive the award including a citation and a trophy from President Pranab Mukherjee at an event at the Rasthrapati Bhavan on March 6.
Facts About JNU
- Established: 1969
- Chancellor: K. Kasturirangan
- Vice-Chancellor: Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here