Gujarat gets its first woman police chief , DGP Geetha Johri replaces PP Pandey
- Director General of Police (DGP) Geetha Johri was appointed in-charge police chief of Gujarat on Tuesday.
- The minister of state for home Pradeepsinh Jadeja announced the decision while stating that Johri has been given the additional charge as she is the senior-most IPS officer in the state.
- With this Johari has become the first woman IPS officer to be appointed for the top job in the state.
- Johri moved discharge application before the special CBI court in Mumbai which is hearing Sohrabuddin case there.
- In 2015, the special court allowed her application and discharged her from the case.
Install GK Digest Android App here
Berhampur Thakurani Yatra festival begins
- The famous Berhampur Thakurani Yatra, one of the biggest festivals of southern Odisha, has been celebrated with pomp and gaiety
- The nearly month-long festival, which began yesterday, celebrates the journey of the deity Maa Budhi Thakurani to her father's house at Desibehera street here. The extravaganza is scheduled to conclude on May 1.
- The biannual extravaganza is the festival of the weaving community, known as Devangiris, and organised by P Durga Prasad Desibehera, whose family has been conducting the festival for generations.
- Desibehera, head of the Devangiris, and his wife along with several others went to the Thakurani temple in a procession to invite the goddess 'home' at midnight on the first day.
J & K Govt bans polythene manufactured below 50 microns
- Minister for Forest, Environment and Ecology, Choudhary Lal Singh today said the Government is taking all the possible measures to prevent the State’s environment and ecology getting polluted.
- The Minister announced that the Government has put a blanket ban on polythene bags manufactured below fifty (50) microns.
- The manufacturer’s name and address will now be required to be printed on the bags, failing which, strict action, as per the law, will be taken against them.
Banking veteran Mahesh Kumar Jain is new IDBI bank MD and CEO
- IDBI has appointed Mahesh Kumar Jain as the Managing Director & CEO with immediate effect. Before his role in IDBI, Jain was the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Indian Bank.
- Jain joined Indian Bank as an executive director in September 2013 where he handled several key portfolios.
- Prior to joining Indian Bank, Jain served as general manager with Syndicate Bank.
- He began his banking career with Punjab National Bank
- He was also a member of the steering committee on Risk Management of IBA and a member of the IBA working group on risk management and implementation of Basel II and III. He was also the secretary & coordinator to Basant Seth Committee on review & revamp of internal & concurrent audit system in PSBs.
International Mine Awareness Day 4 April
- 2017 Theme: Needs driven. People Centred
- On 8 December 2005, the General Assembly declared that 4 April of each year shall be observed as the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action.
- It called for continued efforts by States, with the assistance of the United Nations and relevant organizations, to foster the establishment and development of national mine-action capacities in countries where mines and explosive remnants of war constitute a serious threat to the safety, health and lives of the civilian population, or an impediment to social and economic development at the national and local levels.
- For 20 years, the work of UNMAS has been driven by the needs of affected people and tailored to the threat of explosive hazards faced by civilians, peacekeepers and humanitarians.
- UNMAS works to save lives, to facilitate deployment of UN missions and the delivery of humanitarian assistance, to protect civilians, to support the voluntary return of the internally displaced and refugees, to enable humanitarian and recovery activities and to advocate for international humanitarian and human rights law.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here