Central Bank of India customer wins Rs 1 cr under Modi's cashless scheme
- A transaction of Rs 1,590 has bagged a Central Bank of India customer a lucky bounty of Rs 1 crore under the Modi government's promotional scheme to popularise digital payments.
- President Pranab Mukherjee picked up the lucky winners from the 100th draw of lots under digital payments promotion schemes at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- He congratulated the six winners — three consumers and three merchants — under the Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana.
- In the consumer section, the first mega prize of Rs 1 crore went to a customer of Central Bank of India, while the second prize of Rs 50 lakh went to a Bank of Baroda customer. A customer of Punjab National Bank is the winner of third prize of Rs 25 lakh.
- The winners will be felicitated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 14 at Nagpur on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti.
India Today's Kalli Purie awarded FICCI Young Woman Achiever for excellence in media
- India Today Group Editorial Director Kalli Purie was today awarded the FICCI Young Women Achievers Award for excellence in media.
- The award was conferred to outstanding women achievers who have excelled in their respective fields and made a significant contribution to society.
- Young women under the age of 45 are chosen from diverse fields and are felicitated through these awards.
- Other awardees included Sussanne Khan (Entrepreneur), Simran Lal (Business), Shaina NC (Politics), Deepa Malik (Sports), Chiki Sarkar (Literature), Malvika Poddar (Fashion), Gauri Shinde (Film), Preeti Chandra (Community Service), Bhavna Kakkar (Art) and Vidha Lal (Performing Arts).
- The award to Purie comes after she was listed as one of India's most influential women in media, marketing and advertising last month at the sixth edition of Impact magazine's prestigious awards.
Former Supreme Court judge Shiva Kirti Singh to head TDSAT
- The government has cleared retired Supreme Court judge Shiva Kirti Singh as the next chairman of the Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).
- The appointment is for a period of three years from the date of assumption of office or "until further orders, whichever is earlier
- As per rules, the head of the dispute resolution agency for the telecom industry must be a person, who has been a Supreme Court judge, or the chief justice of a high court.
- Justice Singh had, in fact, served as the chief justice of Allahabad High Court before he became a judge in the apex court.
- The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) was established to adjudicate disputes and dispose of appeals with a view to protect the interests of service providers and consumers of the telecom sector and to promote and ensure orderly growth of the telecom sector
- It was established in 2000.
IOA grants affiliation to Boxing Federation of India
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has granted affiliation to the Boxing Federation of India (BFI), ending a long-standing impasse between the two bodies.
- As per the directives of the International Olympic Committee vide their letter dated February 7, the IOA grants affiliation to the BFI subject to ratification by the Executive Council/General Body of the IOA
- The IOA had initially refused to grant recognition to BFI stating that it still considered the now-defunct Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF)
- With this, the BFI now becomes the fully recognised body for Indian boxing, having already been granted affiliation by AIBA and the sports ministry.
Uruguay government legalises sale of recreational cannabis in pharmacies
- Uruguay’s three-year process of legalising recreational cannabis consumption reached its final stage when the government said it would authorise pharmacies to begin selling the substance as of July.
- Sixteen pharmacies have registered with the government of the tiny South American country to be able to sell marijuana for recreational purposes.
- That number is expected to increase to 30 in the coming months,
- Uruguay became a global pioneer when it legalised the cultivation, distribution and consumption of marijuana in late 2013. But the roll-out has been slow, and the authorisation for pharmacies to sell cannabis – initially expected by the end of 2014 – has been postponed several times.
- The government hopes the formalisation process will “guarantee the quality and the purity of the product” citizens consume. The cannabis sold in pharmacies will be grown by producers licensed by the state.
HDFC Bank launches its UPI on Chillr
- Country's second largest private sector lender HDFC Bank today launched its unified payment interface app on the fintech startup Chillr.
- The UPI on Chillr is in addition to the same facility available on the bank's mobile banking application.
- Chillr has been running on IMPS with 11 banks prior to the launch and has achieved a milestone of monthly transaction value of over Rs 500 crore
- Chillr is India's first multi-bank mobile payment app that links directly to your bank account. It allows you to send money instantly from your HDFC Bank account to anyone in your phone book or to a beneficiary using his ‘Account number & IFSC code' or ‘UPI ID’.
- You can also recharge, pay bills, split bills, or request money on Chillr.
President of India inaugurates first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit 2017
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit 2017
- The slogan of the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit is, ‘Unite for a Healthy Mind’.
- Depression affects people of all ages from all walks of life and in all countries. As per the National Mental Health Survey 2015-16 conducted by NIMHANS, 5.2% of the Indian adult population suffers from depression in some form or the other.
- The problem of depression often gets ignored due to lack of understanding on the part of family members.
- The social stigma attached to a mental disorder, even if it is easily treatable, is also a major problem in India.
- The World Health Day Summit has begun in the right direction by launching the eCAP & SOL’s Telepsychiatry application for the rural and urban population in need of mental health consultation.
Atu Zumvu is first Naga cop to receive ‘Shaurya Chakra’ award
- Atu Zumvu, SDPO Kohima has been conferred with the prestigious “Shaurya Chakra” thus becoming the first Police Officer from Nagaland Police to be conferred with Shaurya Chakra since 1st December 1963 when Nagaland achieved its Statehood.
- Besides this award, Zumvu was earlier awarded with US special agent medal (2013), India Cyber Cop award (2011) Governor Gold Medal (2009) and Governor Commendation Certificate in 2005.
- In his message to the men and women in Khaki service across the country, Zumvu said: “Inculcate in oneself these three qualities—courage, dedication and promptness—to be an achiever and to do justice in your work.”
NASA's Peggy Whitson Takes Command Of Space Station
- NASA's Peggy Whitson, soon to become the most experienced US astronaut in terms of time spent in space, assumed command of the International Space Station as two Russian crew members and an American prepared to fly back to Earth. For Whitson, 57.
- It was her second stint in charge of the $100 billion station, a multinational project overseen by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the Russian space agency Roscosmos.
- On April 24, Whitson will have spent more time in space than any other American astronant, surpassing the current US record of 534 days held by NASA's Jeff Williams, 59.
- She already held records for the most time spent in space by a woman and for the most time spent spacewalking by a woman.
Indian-origin educationist wins Businesswoman of Year award
- An Indian-origin educationist in the UK, who moved to Britain after her marriage with no English language skills, has been named the Asian Businesswoman of the Year in an award ceremony in Birmingham.
- 65-year-old Dame Asha Khemka, Principal and CEO of West Nottinghamshire College, was honoured for her efforts in the field of education and skills at the Asian Business Awards ceremony
- Born in Bihars Sitamarhi district, Dame Khemka left school after passing her exams at the age of 13 and had close to no English language skills when she moved to the UK with her husband and kids at the age of 25.
- She taught herself English by watching children?s TV shows and talking to other young mothers. She went on to acquire a business degree from Cardiff University before becoming a lecturer and eventually taking over as principal and CEO of West Nottinghamshire College, one of the largest in the UK.
- In 2013, she was awarded a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire, one of Britain`s highest civilian awards.
- The mother-of-three was the first Indian-origin Dame since Maharani Lakshmi Devi Bai Sahiba of Dhar State in 1931.
NEFT transfers to be faster as RBI cuts clearance time
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to slash clearance time for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) in an attempt to enhance efficiency of the electronic payment system and add to customer convenience.
- In line with the document on Vision-2018 for Payment and Settlement Systems, the NEFT settlement cycle will be reduced from hourly batches to half hourly batches
- RBI is initiating a pilot project on financial literacy at the block level to explore innovative and participatory approaches to financial literacy.
- The pilot project will be commissioned in nine states across 80 blocks by non-government organisations (NGOs) in collaboration with sponsor banks
- The pilot project will be executed with the following broad objectives — active saving and good borrowing; financial planning and goal setting and going digital and consumer protection.
- The Centres for Financial Literacy (CFL) will be set up under a common name and logo, Money-wise Centre for Financial Literacy.
Moily presents copy of his new book to President
- Former Union minister and senior congress leader M Veerappa Moily today presented the first copy of his book 'The Flaming Tresses of Draupadi' to President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Speaking about the book at a function organised at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, Mukherjee said the Mahabharata and the Ramayana have had a profound influence on the Indian minds and thought process and in both the cases the central theme of these epics have been on women.
- Mukejree said he has known Moily for over five decades, starting from he being Karnataka in-charge of the Congress in the 1970s and then as ministers in the Manmohan Singh cabinet.
Canara Bank partners BSNL to upgrade bandwidth at all branches
- Canara Bank, a public sector bank, has embarked upon an ambitious project of upgrading the bandwidth at all its branches to 2 Mbps in partnership with BSNL.
- The project was officially inaugurated jointly by Dina Bandhu Mohapatra, Executive Director, Canara Bank, in the presence of P V Bharathi, Executive Director, Canara Bank and other top executives of the Bank and BSNL.
- Speaking on the occasion Dina Bandhu Mohapatra, that said the bandwidth upgradation of branches is in line with the bank’s policy of promoting digital channels and shall be a game changer for ensuring faster service across the counters.
- The bandwidth upgradation activity shall be completed in three months.
Mukta Dutta Tomar appointed India's Ambassador to Germany
- Mukta Dutta Tomar was appointed as new India's Ambassador to Germany.
- Tomar, a 1984 batch IFS officer is presently working as the Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- She is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Earlier, Gurjit Singh was holding this post till in March 2017.
Akshay Kumar launches Bharat Ke Veer for families of soldiers
- Launching the app and website ‘BharatKeVeer’ with Union Minister Rajnath Singh, Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar, lauded the Government of India for making his dream come true and providing a platform for everyone to help the next of the kin of slain soldiers financially.
- The portal is an IT based platform, with an objective to enable willing donors to contribute towards the family of a braveheart who sacrificed his/her life in line of duty. The amount so donated will be credited to the account of ‘Next of Kin’ of those Central Armed Police Force/Central Para Military Force soldiers. Actor Akshay Kumar was the Guest of Honour during the function.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here