Naval ship INS Chennai dedicated to Chennai
- Naval ship ‘INS Chennai’ was formally dedicated to the city today in the presence of Chief Minister K Palaniswami and Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command, Vice-Admiral HCS Bisht.
- Named after the city, the ship is commanded by captain C R Praveen Nair and has 45 officers.
Install GK Digest Android Application here
Govt considers merging 26 banks into six big lenders
- SBI, PNB, Canara Bank, Union Bank, Bank of Baroda and Bank of India said to be leading merger, as per a government proposal
- As a part of the proposal, Syndicate Bank, IOB and UCO Bank will be merged with Canara bank.
- Central Bank and Dena Bank will be merged with Union Bank, the official said.
- Other banks like Andhra Bank, Bank of Maharashtra, Vijaya Bank will be merged with Bank of India.
Supreme Court orders auction of Aamby Valley as Sahara fails to deposit Rs 5k crore
- Supreme Court on Monday ordered auction of its prime Aamby Valley township near Lonavala in Pune for failing to deposit Rs 5,000 crore of the Rs 14,000-crore due towards refund to investors.
- In August 2012, the court had ordered group companies Sahara Real Estate and Sahara Housing to refund Rs 25,000 crore illegally raised through one-time fully convertible debentures from nearly three crore investors.
Philippine Prez wins Time 100 Reader Poll
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has won Time magazine's readers' poll of the 100 most influential people in the world
- Modi had been named among the probable contenders for the annual list of the most influential people in the world.
- However Modi had not garnered any "yes" votes at the close of the voting, with the polls showing he had got "zero per cent" votes.
UAE Billionaire To Invest Rs 1000 Cr To Make 'Mahabharata'
- UAE-based billionaire B R Shetty will invest Rs 1,000 crore ($150 million) to produce a two-part film 'Mahabharata'
- The film will be directed by ad filmmaker V A Shrikumar Menon and is scheduled to be released in early 2020.
Amitabh Chaudhry to represent BCCI at ICC
- The Supreme Court on Monday said BCCI'S acting Secretary Amitabh Chaudhry will attend the ICC meeting on April 24, accompanied by the apex cricketing body's CEO Rahul Johri.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here