Scientists identify plastic eating fungus
- Scientists from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) have identified a soil fungus Aspergillus tubingensis that uses enzymes to rapidly break down plastic materials.
- This fungus also uses the physical strength of its mycelia (the network of root—like filaments) to break apart the polymers.
Install New GK Digest Android app here
IISc ranked India’s top university in 2017 NIRF Survey
- The Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc), Bengaluru was adjudged as the best Indian university in the 2017 National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) released by Union Human Resource Development Ministry.
- NIRF survey is a ranking framework for higher education institutions in the country. Parameters of ranking broadly cover Teaching, Learning and Resources, Research and Professional practices, Graduation Outcomes, Outreach and inclusivity and Perception.
Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana launched
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana in Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh.
- Under this scheme, Senior citizens, living below the poverty line, will now get for free assistive devices like hearing aids and wheelchairs. Scheme corpus is Rs 477 crore.
India, Malaysia inks 7 agreements
- India and Malaysia today inked seven pacts, including an air services agreement and a mutual recognition of educational qualifications of the two nations.
- Apart from the air services agreement, the two nations signed an MoU on cooperation in the development of the proposed 2.5 MT per annum urea and ammonia manufacturing plant in Malaysia.
Subsidy for mild hybrid vehicles under FAME scheme removed
- Mild hybrid cars have electric motors that only assist normal engine by using recovered energy stored
- It has now been removed from government's subsidy list
- Maruti Suzuki's two popular cars - Ertiga and Ciaz - have mild hybrid technology
- Auto companies had received incentives of Rs 13,000 for each mild hybrid vehicle each under the scheme.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here