India Signs Mega Missile Deal With Israel For 2 Billion Dollars
- India has signed a weapons deal with Israel for nearly $2 billion in what's being described as the "largest defence contract" ever signed by the military exporting giant.
- The deal will provide India with an advanced defence system of medium-range surface-to-air missiles, launchers and communications technology.
- The "mega" missile agreement is "considered to be the largest defense contract in Israel's defense industries' history
- some components will be assembled in India, in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's push to reduce reliance on costly imports.
- The Israeli firm will also supply a naval defence system including long-range surface-to-air missiles for India's first aircraft carrier, which is still under construction.
- India - the world's largest defence importer - has been investing tens of billions in updating its Soviet-era military hardware to counter regional rivals China and Pakistan.
- Israel is a top weapons exporter, with sales last year surging to $ 6.5 billion. India is a top market for its arms, as New Delhi has turned increasingly away from traditional ally Russia for its military hardware.
Install GK Digest Android App here
64th National Film Awards
- The 64th National Film Awards were announced.
- Sonam Kapoor and Akshay Kumar were among the big winners. While Sonam’s Neerja was declared the Best Hindi Film of 2016, Rustom won Akshay Kumar the Best Actor award.
- Zaira Wasim grabbed the best actor in a supporting role award.
- Pink was announced the best film on a social issue
- The National Film Awards is the most prominent film award ceremonies in India.
- Established in 1954, it has been administered, along with the International Film Festival of India and the Indian Panorama, by the Indian government's Directorate of Film Festivals
Awards and Honours in India 2016-17 - PDF
Hema Malini and S P Balasubramanyam win NTR National Awards
- Andhra Pradesh Government announced the NTR National Award for the years 2012 and 2013 at the Film Development Corporation office in Hyderabad.
- Popular playback singer, actor and music director S.P. Balasubramanyam has got the NTR National Award for 2012, while Hema Malini will receive the same for 2013.
- The NTR National Award is an annual Government award to recognise people for their lifetime achievements and contributions to the Cinema of India.
- The NTR National Award is an honorary Nandi Award in the honour of an Indian Film Actor, director, producer, and politician N.T. Rama Rao who also served as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Award carries a cash prize of Rs. 500,000/- and a memento.
Yokoyama takes over as Country Director of ADB
- Kenichi Yokoyama has taken over as the new Country Director of India Resident Mission of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Yokoyama replaces M Teresa Kho who is now posted as Deputy Director General of ADB’s East Asia Department in Manila.
- Yokoyama was previously heading the Nepal Resident Mission of ADB.
- Prior to joining ADB, Yokoyama worked with the Government of Japan for about 16 years in various capacities. He is an agriculture engineer from Iwate University, Japan and holds a master’s degree in agriculture economics from Stanford University.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
- The company also maintains 31 field offices around the world to promote social and economic development in Asia.
India, Russia ink pact to build two nuclear reactors in Tamil Nadu
- India and Russia today signed an agreement paving the way for building the third and fourth reactors at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tamil Nadu
- The pact was signed between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Russia's Atomstroyexport
- The accord will operationlise the General Framework Agreement (GFA) signed in April this year between the two sides for construction of units 3 and 4 at Kudankulam.
- The cost of the two units is likely to be around Rs 40,000 crore and they will generate a total of 2,000 MWs of power.
- A separate agreement was also signed between (NPCIL) and Atomstroyexport for unit 3 and 4 of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant for supply of some major equipment by the Russian company.
- Aiming to enhance cooperation in the nuclear sector, both the countries also came out with a 'Strategic Vision for Strengthening Cooperation in Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy' under which Russia will build at least 12 reactors in India by 2035.
- Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (or Koodankulam NPP or KKNPP) is the single largest nuclear power station in India, situated in Koodankulam in the Tirunelveli district of the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- Construction on the plant began on 31 March 2002
Subrahmanyan named Larsen & Toubro CEO
- The Board of Directors of Larsen & Toubro (L&T) on Friday elevated S.N. Subrahmanyan as chief executive officer and managing director from the position of deputy managing director and president of the company and appointed Anil Manibhai Naik as non-executive chairman with effect from October 1, 2017, for a period of three years.
- Mr. Subrahmanyan will take charge as CEO on July 1, 2017
- Mr. Naik had given himself a five-year extension in 2012 to restructure the complex businesses, focus on core business, exit non-core businesses and find his successor. His current term as group executive chairman ends on September 30.
Malala to become youngest United Nations Messenger of Peace
- Malala Yousafzai, the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, is to become the youngest United Nations Messenger of Peace, the organisation's
- Yousafzai, 19, will be appointed on Monday by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterresand will help promote girl's education around the world as part of her new role.
- The Pakistani education activist came to prominence when a Taliban gunman shot her in the head on her school bus in 2012 as punishment for campaigning for girls to go to school which defied the militant Islamic group's ban on female education.
- Yousafzai has since continued campaigning on the world stage and in 2014 became the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner.
- Yousafzai, who received medical treatment in Britain where she has since studied, has also set up the Malala Fund to support girls' education projects in developing countries.
- A regular speaker on the global stage, Yousafzai visited refugee camps in Rwanda and Kenya last July to highlight the plight of refugee girls from Burundi and Somalia
Quatrro's Raman Roy is new Nasscom chief, Rishad Premji appointed vice chairman
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) appointed Raman Roy, managing director of Quatrro Global Services, as its chairman for 2017-2018.
- Rishad Premji, chief strategy officer, Wipro Limited has been appointed Vice Chairman.
- Roy takes over from CP Gurnani, CEO of Tech Mahindra. He is considered one of the poster boys of the Indian business process outsourcing industry, has been a member of Nasscom’s executive council and was the vice-chairman
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) is a trade association of Indian Information Technology (IT) and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry.
- Established in 1988, NASSCOM is a non-profit organisation.
- NASSCOM is headquartered in New Delhi, India, with regional offices in the cities of Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune and Thiruvananthapuram.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here