International Workers' Day or Labour Day: 1 May 2017
- International Workers' Day, also known as Labour Day in some countries, is a celebration of labourers and the working classes that is promoted by the international labour movement, socialists, communists or anarchists.
- It occurs every year on May Day which is May 1st. It is the day to pay tribute to the Labourers. Without them nothing will complete.
- In India, the first Labour Day, or May Day, was celebrated in 1923 in Chennai.
- On May 11886, labour unions in the United States of America decided to go on a strike with the demand that workers should not be allowed to work more than 8 hours a day.
- This strike was followed by a bomb blast in Chicago's Haymarket Square on the 4th of May.
- This led to the death of several people and police officers. In addition, more than 100 people were injured in the blast.
Government launches new Test and Treat policy for HIV
- The government on Friday launched a new policy for HIV under which anyone who is tested and found positive will get the necessary treatment.
- HIV destroys the CD4 T cells in the body that strengthen immunity. People with HIV, who have a CD4 cell count below 200, are at significant risk of developing serious illnesses, and the government currently provides free treatment to people with a count of 400 and below.
- As per the new policy, “As soon as a person is tested and found to be positive, he will be provided with ART (antiretroviral therapy) irrespective of his CD count or clinical stage
- This will be for all men, women, adolescents and children who have been diagnosed as a HIV+ case. This will improve longevity, improve quality of life of those infected and will save them from many opportunistic infections, especially TB.
Kerala's Aymanam Becomes Country's First Digitised Panchayat ward
- A ward in the Kerala's Aymanam district became India's first digitised panchayat ward.
- Union minister of state for social justice and empowerment Krishan Pal Gurjar inaugurated the website of the first digitised panchayat ward number 15 of Aymanam grama panchayat at a function held at a temple premises.
- The minister launched the website HYPERLINK "http://www.digitalaymanam.com"www.digitalaymanam.com at the function.
- The panchayat ward in Kerala has become the first one to go digital in the country, taking a very important step in fulfilling Prime Minister Narendra Modi's dream of transforming India into a digitally empowered society.
Assam gets its first Shatabdi Express
- Assam got its first Shatabdi Express with Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain flagging off the train from Dibrugarh. The new Shatabdi Express train (No. 12085/12086) will run between Dibrugarh and Guwahati.
- The Shatabdi Express trains are among the fastest and most prestigious trains of the Indian Railways along with Rajdhani and Duronto trains which connect metro cities with other important cities from the point of view of tourism, pilgrimage or business.
- The train would have latest fully air-conditioned LHB Coaches to provide safety and extra comfort. Travellers would be provided with bottled water, juice, coffee or tea, and meals relevant to time of day of the journey,
Syrian refugee and Olympic swimmer Yusra Mardini becomes UNHCR ambassador
- Yusra Mardini, a Syrian woman who helped save a boat carrying fellow refugees, has been appointed by the UN agency for refugees as its new Goodwill Ambassador.
- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said Mardini’s actions saved the lives of 20 refugees who were fleeing the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Mardini, 19, was also one of the 10 athletes who made up the historic Olympic Refugee Team and participated at the Rio Olympic Games last year.
- She has been a very powerful voice for the forcibly displaced across the world and an example of their resilience and determination to rebuild lives and positively contribute to host communities.
Awards & Achievements
Hero MotoCorp conferred with 'Indian MNC of the Year' award by AIMA
- Pawan Munjal, Chairman, Managing Director and CEO, Hero MotoCorp Ltd., was felicitated by the All India Management Association (AIMA) for the rapid global expansion of Brand Hero.
- Hero MotoCorp, the India's largest two-wheeler manufacturer, was adjudged the 'Indian MNC of the year' by AIMA at a glittering function in the national capital.
- Brand Hero has expanded to 35 countries spread across Asia, Africa and Central and South America in a very short span of time since charting its solo journey in 2011.
- Hero MotoCorp, which sold more than 6.6 million two-wheelers in FY'17, is the only Indian two-wheeler company to have a manufacturing facility in Latin America. Hero's manufacturing plant is situated at Vila Ricca in Colombia.
Science & Technology
Google introduces 'Solve for India' campaign: Aims to empower developers from Tier II cities
- Google has announced the new "Solve for India" initiative, especially for tier-2 cities such as Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Kochi, Indore, Nagpur, Nashik, Madurai, Kanpur, and Chennai. This program will aim to support entrepreneurs and developers of the country.
- The program will provide a platform for developers, entrepreneurs in tier 2 cities to hear from experts and learn about the latest Google technologies and get access to direct mentoring and support from Google.
- Entrepreneurs will now have the opportunity to learn directly from Google engineers who will share product usage insights, how to develop mobile first solutions with strong offline and language capabilities and help them to build solutions in many sectors.
- Some of the areas will include agri-tech, healthcare, transportation, education, sanitation and more.
- These developers and entrepreneurs will also have access to the Google Launchpad programme which will help create and accelerate early stage product ideas.
Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas registers maiden Formula One win in Russia
- In a thrilling finish to Russian Grand Prix, Valtteri Bottas claimed his maiden Formula One victory on Sunday when he resisted intense pressure from championship leader Sebastian Vettel to triumph for Mercedes in the last couple of laps.
- The popular Bottas's first win was warmly received by his fellow drivers and the paddock, Hamilton hugging him after he had jumped into the arms of his crew and Vettel joining the reception, Russian President Vladimir Putin also present for congratulations and prize giving.
Rafael Nadal Clinches His 10th Barcelona Open Title
- Rafael Nadal won a record-extending 10th Barcelona Open title by thrashing Dominic Thiem of Austria 6-4, 6-1, collecting his second claycourt title in a row.
- Nadal, who won the Monte Carlo Masters for a 10th time last week, romped to the title without dropping a set on the newly renamed Rafa Nadal court at the Real Tennis Club in Barcelona, and needed just 90 minutes to finish off Thiem.
- The Mallorcan took a while to impose himself on Thiem on an overcast day in Barcelona with the cold weather slowing down the court.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here