World Migratory Bird Day: 10 May 2017
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was initiated in 2006 and is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats.
- It has a global outreach and is an effective tool to help raise global awareness of the threats faced by migratory birds, their ecological importance, and the need for international cooperation to conserve them.All the activities organised for World Migratory Bird Day are united by a common theme.
- With the 2017 theme "Their Future is our Future", WMBD will throw light on the topic of "Sustainable Development for Wildlife and People".
IRCTC starts cash-on-delivery service on train tickets
- IRCTC has offered delivery of rail tickets allowing passengers to make payment through any payment mode, including cash.
- Broad-basing the customer service, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation has now introduced pay-on-delivery service allowing passengers to book train tickets online and pay at the time of delivery.
- Delivering tickets at the consumer's doorstep by offering the pay-on-delivery (PoD) option will facilitate those consumers who book through travel agents to move to online medium.
- It will also encourage people who book at railway reservation counters to move to online medium as there is a cost and effort to reach the reservation counters.
- The customer will have to do a one-time registration for availing PoD as a payment option.
Calcutta HC’s Justice Karnan gets 6 months in jail for contempt
- The Supreme Court sentenced a high court judge to six months in prison on charges of contempt a first for a serving judicial officer in what has been an unprecedented face-off in the upper judiciary over alleged corruption.
- The move against Justice CS Karnan of Calcutta high court came after a months-long
- Karnan’s arrest orders came a day after he sentenced Chief Justice of India JS Khehar and six other judges of the Supreme Court to five years in jail under the SC/ST act.
- The controversy began in January when Karnan wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to order an investigation against judges of the Madras high court and the apex court of corruption.
Rajnath’s ‘Samadhan’ for Naxal violence
- Presiding over a review meeting of the states affected by Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) here today, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced a new strategy against the Maoists—SAMADHAN.
- The Minister explained the acronym as
- S-smart leadership,
- A-aggressive strategy,
- M-motivation and training,
- A-actionable intelligence,
- D-dashboard-based KPIs (key performance indicators) and KRAs (key result areas),
- H-harnessing technology,
- A-action plan for each theatre and N-no access to financing.
Details of the new strategy:
- Smart leadership: In the LWE-affected areas, there is a need of leadership which, despite adversity, can keep the jawans enthusiastic and teach them only to win.
- Aggressive strategy: Singh explained that it is necessary to analyse incidents where security forces suffered heavy losses.
- Motivation and training: Focus should be on training of security forces and providing them adequate facilities. Security forces must learn the culture and languages of the locals to earn their trust.
- Actionable intelligence: It is important to establish a good network with the locals. “Surrendered LWE cadre should be used for intelligence collection
- Dashboard KPIs and KRAs, Harnessing technology, Action plan for each theatre , No access to financing are also included in the strategy.
Trump picks Indian-American for key post in Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- US President Donald Trump on Tuesday nominated Indian-American Neil Chatterjee to a key administration position in the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, an agency charged with overseeing America's power grid and deciding on multibillion-dollar energy projects.
- The White House said Trump intends to nominate Neil Chatterjee, 40, of Kentucky as a Member of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for the term expiring June 30, 2021.
- Chatterjee, who is the energy policy advisor to US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has played an integral role in the passage of major energy, highway and farm legislation.
- Chatterjee needs to be confirmed by the Senate before he can be sworn in as member of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
29th India- Indonesia Co-Ordinated Patrol (Corpat) Commences
- The 29th series of IndiaIndonesia CORPAT is scheduled from 09 to 25 May 17 with the opening ceremony being conducted at Port Blair under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- The Indonesian Naval Ship KRI Sutedi Senoputra has arrived at Haddo Wharf, Port Blair to mark the commencement of the 29th series of INDINDO CORPAT.
- An Indonesian Maritime Patrol Aircraft also flew in with the Indonesian Naval delegation led by First Admiral Bambang Irwanto to INS Utkrosh, Port Blair.
- First Admiral Bambang Irwanto called on Maj Gen PS Sai, Chief of Staff, Andaman and Nicobar Command and the delegation also interacted with Commodore Ashutosh Ridhorkar, the Naval Component Commander.
Sachin Tendulkar welcomes INS Tarkash to London
- Hundreds of UK-based Indians turned out to cheer as cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar welcomed an Indian naval frigate as it docked on the river Thames in London
- INS Tarkash, a state-of-the art stealth ship, is in the UK for naval exercises and to mark UK India Year of Culture 2017.
- The frigate's arrival in London was marked by a series of Indian cultural performances, with the crowds dancing to patriotic tunes.
- INS Tarkash, under the command of Captain Rituraj Sahu, set sail from Mumbai last month and will remain docked in London until next week.
Moon Jae-in: South Korean liberal claims presidency
- Liberal candidate Moon Jae-in has claimed victory in South Korea's presidential election.
- Mr Moon favours greater dialogue with North Korea, in a change to current South Korean policy.
- With 80% of the votes counted, Mr Moon was ahead with 40% of the total, the National Election Commission said.
- His conservative challenger, former prosecutor Hong Joon-pyo, was next with 25.5% followed by centrist candidate Ahn Cheol-soo on 21.4%.
India beats China on list of Nepal’s top development partners
- India has again emerged as one of the top ODA (Official Development Assistance) donors to Nepal, clawing its way back to the list of top 5 bilateral development partners of the country.
- According to the latest report, India disbursed US $ 35.76 million from July 16 2015 to July 15 2016 to claim its place among the top 5 bilateral development partners of Nepal.
- This is 3.33 per cent of total ODA received by Nepal in the year.
- China in the same period accounted for 3.29 per cent of the overall ODA to Nepal.
Jhulan Goswami Becomes The Highest Wicket-Taker In Women's One-Day Internationals
- Former India captain Jhulan Goswami has surpassed Australian Cathryn Fitzpatrick to become the leading wicket-taker in Women's One-Day International (ODI) cricket, taking her haul to 181 wickets from 153 outings.
- The 34-year-old pacer took three wickets against hosts South Africa during the ongoing Women's Quadrangular Series to achieve the landmark.
- With 271 International wickets (Tests, ODIs and T20I), Goswami, who was once the fastest bowler in women's cricket has been the mainstay of India women bowling unit since her debut in 2002.
- Goswami is also the all-time leading wicket-taker in women's cricket. After winning the ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year 2007 she captained India. She was conferred with the Arjuna Award in 2010, and the Padma Shri two years later.
Olive Ridley to be mascot of Asian Athletics
- Chief minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik unveiled the logo and mascot of the Asian Athletics Championships scheduled here at Kalinga Stadium from July 6 to 9 in presence of athletic legends like P T Usha and Anju Bobby George.
- While the logo depicts an athlete crossing the finishing line with historical tourist attractions of Odisha in the backdrop, the mascot is named OLLY that represents the famous Olive Ridley sea turtle.
- Beaches of Odisha are a prime nesting site for these endangered sea turtles.
- He also formally announced Bhubaneswar as the host for the international sports event.
Banking & Business
Apple becomes first company to hit $800 bn valuation mark
- Apple briefly touched $800 billion market valuation, making it the world's first ever company to hit the milestone.
- At $800 billion, Apple's valuation was higher than the combined market cap of all the 30 Sensex companies, which stood at $784 billion.
- The world's most valuable company
- Apple is followed by Google parent Alphabet, and Microsoft in market valuation.
Cashkaro.com ties up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers
- Banking on the Government's drive to promote a cash-less economy, cashback portal Cashkaro.com has tied up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers as part of its loyalty programme for both offline and online shoppers.
- The offer will be currently available on all YES BANK debit cards, and will be extended to all other payment products of YES Bank in the near future.
- The initiative will now enable YES Bank debit card holders to earn customised cashback offers from a wide range of participating online merchants as well as brick and mortar stores, including Forever 21, TataCliq, Chaayos, Junkyard Café, UrbanClap, Zivame, Nearbuy, Limeroad, Netmeds, BigBasket, Fortis Healthworld, The Beer Café and FreshMenu.
- This initiative removes the need for additional coupon codes and merchant integrations, thereby offering users a hassle-free experience with offers being personalised to their unique needs the credit of cashback to YES Bank Savings Account and YES PAY Wallet is also completely automated right from tracking to settlement.
Awards & Achievements
N'Golo Kante wins Football Writers' Association award
- Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante has been chosen as the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.
- The Blues' Belgium winger Eden Hazard was second, with Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli third.
- It follows Kante, 26, being voted the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year for 2016-17.
- The France international helped Leicester City win the Premier League title last season and is close to doing the same with Chelsea.
- The Blues, who have four top-flight matches left, lead the table with a four-point advantage over second-placed Spurs, who have played a game more.
Konkona bags Best Director and Best Actress awards at New York Indian Film Festival
- Konkona Sensharma has been named the best director for her directorial debut ‘A Death in the Gunj’ and the best actress for ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ at 2017's New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF).
- K Kaladharan won the best actor for Malayalam film 'Ottayaal n Paatha'" (‘A Narrow Path’).
- Shubhashish Bhutiani's ‘Mukti Bhawan’ was declared the best film at the 17th annual film extravaganza.‘An Insignificant Man’ won the best documentary and Malayalam film ‘Kammatipaddam’ was honoured for the screenplay.
- Onir's film ‘Aaba’ was declared the best short film at the festival.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here