Goa Statehood Day: 30 May
World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- Theme: Beating tobacco for health, prosperity, the environment and national development
- Theme 2017: Connecting People to Nature.
- The theme was chosen by this year’s host country – Canada – which will be the centre of World Environment Day activities.
National EventsAnti-Ragging App
- HRD minister Prakash Javadekar launched an Anti-Ragging Mobile App introduced by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation has approved hike in investment limit in exchange traded funds (ETFs) to 15 percent, from the existing 10 per cent
- The government has renamed the Matritva Sahyog Yojana as Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)
- Minister for Statistics & Programme Implementation Shri D.V.Sadananda Gowda inaugurated the new office building of National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), Sankhyiki Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The Goa government has decided to ban buying and selling of plastic bags below 50 microns from July, to tackle the garbage and litter menace in public places.
- The Manohar Parrikar-led Goa government will re-introduce the scheme to screen newborn babies for detecting metabolic disorders.
- For promotion of toilet usage across the country's villages, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has come out with a new campaign called Darwaza Band
- Iconic actor, Amitabh Bachchan leads the campaign
- World Bank is supporting the campaign.
- Naidu launches colour coded bed sheets scheme for state hospitals, ropes in Gates foundation to boost healthcare
- Titled ‘Hospital Linen and Laundry Service Programme’, the service has been launched for 13,200 beds under phase 1 across all teaching and district hospitals at a cost of Rs 10 crore.
Nitin Gadkari Agricultural and Skill Development Centre inaugurated
- Shri Nitin GadkariAgricultural and Skill Development Centre was inaugurated at the hands of Assam governor Banwarilal Purohit
- The ceremony took place at Thadipawni, 100 kms from Nagpur city where the development centre is being established.
- The Indian Railways introduced 'Buy Now, Pay Later' service for passengers to book tickets online first and make payment for the reservations within a window of 15 days.
- The Delhi Police launched a bicycle patrol scheme to increase police presence in congested areas of the city.
- The bicycle patrol, for which 65 high-end bicycles have been acquired, was flagged off by Union Minister of State for Home Hansraj Gangaram Ahir from the Yamuna Sports Complex in east Delhi.
- The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) is all set to launch ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ by January 2018, which is expected to improve India’s position in ocean research field
- A web portal ‘Mahaswayam’ that will cater to job seekers, employers, entrepreneurs, and training institutes who can avail details regarding skill development and employment was launched by Maharashtra government.
- Maharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS) portal for Skill Development, ‘Maharojgar’ for employment and ‘Mahaswayamrojgar’ for entrepreneurship have now been merged into ‘Mahaswayam’.
- India will be having its own GPS system. 'NavIC' will be operational early 2018.
- The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) with an operational name of NavIC is currently being tested for its accuracy and is most likely to be available in the market for public use early next year,
- Odisha can warn the vast population residing along its 480 km-long coast by pressing a single button from a control room in the State capital in the event of the occurrence of natural disasters like a tsunami or a cyclone.
- Odisha is the first State in India to have developed an automatic public address system that can be activated along its entire coast.
- The Telangana Government has launched a digital wallet, named T-Wallet, which doesn’t charge transaction fee from consumers.
- It allows a maximum transaction of Rs. 1 lakh for e-KYC (know your customer) users. For non-KYC users, the limit is set to Rs. 20,000.
- A stamp on noted playwright and theatre director late Balwant Gargi was released
- Gargi, who was born in 1916 in Bathinda, was awarded the Sahitya Akademi award, the highest Indian literary award, in 1962 for his book 'Rang Manch'.
- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile from a test range in Odisha as part of a user trial by the Army.
- The trial of the surface-to-surface missile, which has a strike range of a 350 km, was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur
- Minister for road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari on Thursday launched INAM PRO+—an e-commerce platform for construction and infrastructure raw material for government and private procurement.
- Varanasi will get the country's first 'freight village' spread over around 100 acres.
- A 'Freight Village' is a specialised industrial estate which attracts companies that require logistics services and can cluster to improve their competitiveness.
- The Haryana government has changed the name of Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) to Haryana Shahari Vikas Pradhikaran (HSVP).
3% GST on Gold
- The GST Council decided to tax packaged and branded food items at 5 per cent, tendu leaves at 18 per cent and bidi at the highest rate of 28 per cent. Unlike cigarettes, there will be no cess on bidi.
- Council proposed to tax gold and gold jewellery at 3 per cent.
- The Telangana government was the only government in the country to launch welfare schemes such as pension for single women for the betterment of society
- India's first bike sharing scheme launched this weekend in the southern city of Mysuru.
- The bikes, of which 450 will be available to the city's 1.2 million inhabitants, will be hirable from 48 docking stations across the city.
- Chandigarh will become India’s first city to have only women manage all public parking lots under a ‘smart parking system
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched three new apps to help customers rate quality of services, speed and performance.
- The three new apps -- Mycall app, MySpeed app and 'Do not disturb (DND 2.0)' app -- are being launched so that there is more transparency between the consumers and the service providers.
- Habibganj in the suburbs of Bhopal will redefine the concept of a railway station in India. The country’s first railway station to be redeveloped as a public-private partnership (PPP), Habibganj is set to become a swanky commercial hub with shops, offices and hotels, all in a span of three years.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under the Ministry of Power, is going to retrofit 10 lakh conventional street lights with LED lamp in village panchayats in Andhra Pradesh which is the first project for rural LED street lighting in the country under the Government of India’s Street Lighting National Project (SLNP).
- Leading bourse NSE launched its international exchange in the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City
- NSE IFSC Ltd, the global exchange promoted by National Stock Exchange, will remain operational for a longer period than NSE during a trading day.
International EventsDenmark abolished blasphemy law
- A blasphemy law dating back to the 17th century in Denmark has been repealed by lawmakers. The law prohibited public insults of a religion, such as the burning of holy books.
- Denmark was the only Scandinavian country with a blasphemy law
- Populist leader Aleksandar Vucic was sworn in as Serbia's president, pledging to work for peace and stability in the war-weary Balkans while strengthening the country's armed forces.
- Leo Varadkar's is set to become the once-staunchly Catholic country's first openly gay prime minister, its first of Indian descent and the youngest person ever to hold the office.
- Sri Lanka's Minister of Science, Technology & Research of Sri Lanka Susil Premajayantha and High Commissioner of India Taranjit Singh Sandhu inaugurated the first India-Sri Lanka Joint Research Symposium in Colombo
- The 5th India Morocco Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) was held in Rabat
- The JCM was anchored by Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce and Industry Minister.
SportsSebastian Vettel won Monaco Grand Prix
- Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel won a slow-burning Monaco Grand Prix to extend his championship lead over Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton to 25 points.
- India's R Vaishaliwon the women's title with eight points from nine rounds in the Asian Continental Blitz Chess Championship in Chengdu, China
- ESPN has revealed the names of top 100 most famous athletes.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli (13), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (15).
- Yuvraj is placed at No.90 while Raina holds No.95.
- Harmanpreet Kaur, the captain of India’s T20I team, is all set to feature in the second season of the Kia Super League, the English domestic T20 league, after being signed up by Surrey Stars.
- The Kia Super League, also known as the Women’s Cricket Super League
- India ranks 120th among 131 nations in women workforce
- India captain Virat Kohli is the lone cricketer from the country to feature in the top 10 of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Players Rankings for ODIs
- India tops the 2017 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI)
- India ranked 154th on the Health care Access and Quality Index
- India ranked 45th IMD World Competitiveness Index
- India secured 137th rank in Global Peace Index 2017
- Nine Indian cities included in the JLL’s Global 300' cities list (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune and Surat
- India secured the second place in the list of most complicated jurisdiction according to a report of Deloitte
Banking & FinanceHiked Charges for Banking Services
- State Bank of India (SBI), Bank of Maharashtra and Canara Bank have hiked charges for several services or facilities provided to customers.
- These include increase in charges for chequebook issuance, signature verification, cash handling charges, withdrawals beyond stipulated numbers and card issuance charges.
New 1 Re note
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon introduce currency notes of one rupee denomination
- The note will have the bilingual signature of Shaktikanta Das, Secretary, Ministry of Finance. It will contain the words ‘Government of India’ and ‘भारत सरकार’ and have the replica of the new one rupee coin with the ‘₹’ symbol of 2017. ‘सत्यमेव जयते’, the words printed on all of India’s currency notes, will be featured as well.
- Bank of India conducted a Star Mahotsav across its branch network in the country.
- The thrust was on contacting every customer at their door step either for recovery of bad loans, disbursement of retail loans including housing and vehicle loan, disbursement under MSME and agriculture and promotion of its products
- Markets regulator SEBI has set up a committee on corporate governance under the Chairmanship of Uday Kotak, Managing Director of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Science & Tecnology
- Indian Space Research Organisation on Monday successfully launched its most powerful rocket, GSLV Mk III nicknamed 'Fatboy'+ , by firing a high thrust indigenous cryogenic engine in the first developmental flight and placed the country's heaviest satellite in orbit.
- The first university satellite of Mongolia which is named after the Mongolian endangered Gobi bear — Mazaalai — was sent off into space in the United States.
- NASA launched a sounding rocket which will release blue-green and red artificial clouds.
- The launch of the Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket testing a new deployment system to support space studies was originally scheduled for May 31, but it was delayed due to poor weather conditions.
- In order to unlock the mysteries of the sun's atmosphere, Parker Solar Probe will use Venus’ gravity during seven flybys over nearly seven years to gradually bring its orbit closer to the sun.
- Scientists have discovered a potentially habitable Earth-like planet,Super Earth, located just 21 light years away, that may host liquid water on its surface.
Awards & Appointments
- Bollywood actress Dia Mirza was appointed brand ambassador for the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI)
- Shashi Shekhar Vempati, a former principal architect of Infosys Technologies, has been appointed the new chief executive officer (CEO) of public broadcaster Prasar Bharati.
- The Reserve Bank has appointed Ganesh Kumar as Executive Director (ED) after the voluntary retirement of Chandan Sinha.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) has appointed Sanjiv Singh as the new chairman of the company with immediate effect.
- Citi announced the appointment of Shinjini Kumar as Consumer Business Manager, Global Consumer Banking, India
- Former Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao has been appointed public policy fellow to a Washington-based think-tank where she will work on a project on the Sino-India ties
- The United Nations General Assembly yesterday (31 May) picked Slovak Minister of Foreign Affairs Miroslav Lajčák to be its next president.
- Former Allahabad Bank chairperson and managing director Shubhalaxmi Panse and private equity veteran Pradip Shah have been inducted into the Bank Board Bureau
- Kerala Bharatiya Janata Party leader George Kurian has been appointed Vice-Chairperson of the National Commission for Minorities or NCM
- Manipur Governor and former minority affairs minister Najma Heptulla has been appointed as the chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia, first woman to hold the top post in the varsity's history.
- Satyabrata Rout, a professor from the Department of Theatre Arts, S N School of Arts and Communication, University of Hyderabad (UoH) has been awarded Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for the year 2016.
- Dr Sunil Kothari, who was the first one to complete PhD from M S University's Department of Dance, has been selected for the coveted Akademi Ratnaaward by the Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- HolidayIQ has awarded Lake Pichola as the best natural attraction in India.
- Ananya Vinay of Fresno, California won the Scripps National Spelling Bee, taking home a $40,000 cash prize after 12 hours of picking her way along a precarious lifeline of consonants and vowels.
- The Ministry of Rural Development has selected Vizianagaram as one among the 17 districts across the nation for the MGNREGA annual award for effective implementation of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act during 2015-16.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here