National Doctors Day: 1 July 2017
- National Doctors day in India is a big awareness campaign offering great opportunities to all to get aware about the roles, importance and responsibilities of the doctors as well as promote medical professionals to come closer and follow the responsibilities of their profession very dedicatedly.
- This day is celebrated in the memory of Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy in order to pay honour to the entire medical profession.
- Doctor’s Day in India was established by the Government of India in 1991 to be recognised and celebrated every year on 1st of July as National Doctors day.
- It is celebrated on 1st of July on the birth and death anniversary of the most famous physician of India Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy
Download GK Digest Android Application
GST comes into force after 17 years of debate
- The Goods and Services Tax (GST) -- India's biggest tax reform since independence -- tonight came into force after 17 tumultuous years of debate
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi termed the new levy as "good and simple tax" that marks economic integration of India.
ADB pledges USD 10 bn for development projects in India
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) today committed USD 10 billion support for infrastructure building and immediate development needs of less-developed states in the country.
- Besides, the Manila-based multi-lateral funding agency decided to increase the annual funding by USD 1 billion to USD 4 billion.
- ADB expects India to grow by 7.4 per cent in the current financial year and 7.6 per cent in 2018-19.
- The funding agency is prepared to invest up to USD 5 billion during 2018-2022 for infrastructure building to develop the East Coast Economic Corridor. Nakaopraised progress on attracting investments in manufacturing industries in the Corridor.
- President of Asian Development Bank is Takehiko Nakao.
Mizoram celebrates 31st anniversary of Mizo peace accord
- The 31st anniversary of the signing of the historic Mizo peace accord between the Union government and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) was celebrated in Mizoram.
- All government offices and educational institutions remained closed as the day was declared a public holiday.
- The Mizo Accord was signed on June 30, 1986 ushering in an era of peace after 20 years of violence and disturbance in the state.
British PM Theresa May narrowly wins Parliament confidence vote
- British Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative minority government secured lawmakers' backing for its legislative plans by a narrow margin but only after making a sudden concession on abortion funding to stave off defeat.
- The House of Commons voted by 323 to 309 to approve last week's Queen's Speech, which laid out the government's agenda for the next two years.
6th Joint Trade Committee Meeting between India and Myanmar
- The 6th India – Myanmar Joint Trade Committee (JTC) Meeting co-chaired by Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Commerce & Industry from India and Dr. Than Myint, Union Commerce Minister from Myanmar was held at New Delhi.
- The Joint Trade Committee plays a key role in facilitating issues related to enhancement of the bilateral economic partnership between the two countries.
- Myanmar shares a long land border of over 1600 Kms with India as well as a maritime boundary in the Bay of Bengal.
- Our bilateral relationship has been further strengthened by the high level exchanges between our countries. Prime Minister of India visited Myanmar in November 2014 for the Twelfth India-ASEAN Summit. State counsellor of Myanmar visited India in October 2016
German Parliament Approves Same-Sex Marriage
- The lower house of the German Parliament voted to legalize same-sex marriage after a brisk but emotional debate
- The historic decision came with a swiftness rare in Germany’s usually staid politics, just five days after Chancellor Angela Merkel unexpectedly relaxed her party’s opposition to same-sex marriage and allowed lawmakers to vote on the issue according to their consciences.
- Germany will join Ireland, France, Spain and other nations in extending full marital rights to same-sex couples, including the right to adopt children.
China Is Building The World's 1st Vertical 'Forest City' To Help Clean Up Its Pollution Problem
- After China’s Nanjing city became the first Asian city to be getting a vertical forest (by 2018), China is building a forest city – Liuzhou Forest City – which will boast urban settlements and vertical forests. And, this will help curb pollution by leaps and bounds.
- Liuzhou Forest City will be built north of Liuzhou in the south and the mountainous province of Guangxi, an area of about 175 hectares along the Liujiang River.
- The new city of 30,000 inhabitants will be able each year to absorb about 10,000 tons of CO2 and 57 tons of particulate matter and to produce about 900 tons of oxygen
Awards & Achievements
Health Ministry’s mobile app eVIN wins GSMA Asia Mobile Award
- Indigenously developed mobile application for digitising vaccine logistics, eVIN, has won the prestigious GSMA Asia Mobile Award 2017 (AMO) for outstanding contribution to the UN’s sustainable development goals in Asia.
- The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is an online real-time vaccine logistics management system developed and implemented by the Ministry of Health and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- eVIN is presently being implemented across 12 states in the country and aims to support the government’s Universal Immunization Programme by providing real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in these states.
SIERRA ODC building in Coimbatore gets world’s second highest green rating
- SIERRA ODC building looks like any other IT office building from the outside. No posh or massive structure, but if you enter the office complex of this Coimbatore-based IT solutions company, you will realise what the so-called “Green Building” means and is much talked about.
- The building incidentally has been recognised as the world’s second highest ranking Green Building, with a score of 103 out of 110 under LEED certification.
- “The three-storeyed building has been designed and constructed with an emphasis on increasing the efficiency of resource use — be it energy, water or materials, while reducing its impact on human health and the environment through its entire lifecycle,
- To promote the benefits of green building, SIERRA ODC is in the process of establishing an on-site green learning centre where students, social enthusiasts, industry experts and the general public can learn the benefits and also consider applying certain strategies at home and work.
Lipstick Under My Burkha Will Be The Opening Film At The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne
- The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2017 has selected Lipstick Under My Burkha as its opening film for 2017.
- Though this film has won critical acclaim at various festivals across the globe, back home it has turned out to be the most controversial films of the year even before its theatrical release.
- The story is set in Bhopal, where four women who rebel and escape their tiresome lives. Ratna Pathak Shah plays a 55-year-old widow who rediscovers her sexuality through a romantic relationship over the phone.
- Konkona Sen Shrama is a mother of three kids and an oppressed housewife who tries to fulfill her desires, alongside performing her daily duties as a mother and a wife.
- Aahana Kumra plays a young beautician who is planning to elope with her lover and Plabita is a college girl and an aspiring pop singer who struggles with her cultural identity.
Indian-origin boy beats IQ score of Einstein, Hawking with zero preparation
- The India-origin teenager from UK has successfully secured the top possible score of 162 on a Mensa IQ test, two points higher than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.
- Arnav, hailing from Reading town in southern England, passed the Mensa IQ test without any preparation and had never seen the pattern of the paper before appearing for it.
- Termed as one of the brainiest child in the country, Arnav's score puts him in top 1 per cent of the nation.
- Mensa is believed to be the largest and oldest high IQ society in the world. Membership is open to anyone who can demonstrate an IQ in the top 2 per cent of the population, measured by a recognised or approved IQ testing process.
K K Venugopal is Appointed Attorney General of India
- Senior lawyer and constitutional expert KK Venugopal has been appointed as the next Attorney General of India.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has approved his appointment. The government will notify his appointment in a day or two. News18 was the first to report on June 27 that Venugopal was the frontrunner for the post.
- The 86-year-old succeeds Mukul Rohatgi, who stepped down after the first term.
- Venugopal, who started his practice in the apex court in early 1960s, had said that he has was informed by the PMO that a decision was likely after the PM’s return from the US.
Shamma Jain appointed Indian envoy to Greece
- Senior diplomat Shamma Jain was appointed as India's ambassador to Greece.
- A 1983-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, Jain is currently serving as Indian envoy to Panama.
- She has also served in Indian missions in Italy, the Philippines, Washington DC, Turkey and Argentina.
Science & Technology
Reliance Jio launches AAE-1, world's longest 100Gbps submarine cable system
- Reliance Jio has launched the Asia-Africa-Europe (AAE-1) submarine cable system.
- The company claims that it is the world's longest 100Gbps technology-based submarine system and will stretch for over 25,000km from Marseille, France to Hong Kong.
- It will have 21 cable landings across Asia and Europe.
- The project is a combination of leading telecom service providers from Europe, the Middle East and Asia. It will feature diversified Points of Presence (PoP) in Asia (Hong Kong and Singapore), with three onward connectivity options in Europe (France, Italy and Greece)
- AAE-1 will pass through critical hubs, serving the demand for video centric data bandwidth that supports all types of communications, applications and content within India and beyond.
- Jio says that the system will link seamlessly with other cable systems and fibre networks to deliver direct access to all global markets.
NASA Rocket Launch Creates Colorful Clouds Seen Across the East Coast
- NASA deployed a rocket early morning that created colorful clouds out of vapor in the Earth's upper atmosphere over the East Coast.
- Completed at 4:25 a.m. from the Wallops location on Chincoteague Island, NASA successfully launched its Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket — after 11 recent unsuccessful attempts.
- The launch tested a new multi-canister ejection system used for deploying vapors, according to NASA.
- The colorful vapors could be seen from New York to North Carolina.
- The blue-green and red artificial clouds, deployed between four and six minutes after take-off, are used to track particle motions in space.
- The launch tested a new system that helps studies of the ionosphere and aurora.
- The total flight took eight minutes.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here