17 July 2017 - Day of International Criminal Justice
- 17 July is the Day of International Criminal Justice. It marks the anniversary of the adoption of the Rome Statute on 17 July 1998, the founding treaty of the ICC, which seeks to protect people from genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and the crime of aggression.
- 17 July unites all those who wish to support justice, promote victims' rights, and help prevent crimes that threaten the peace, security and well-being of the world.
Matunga becomes India's first railway station run by women
- Matunga suburban railway station in Mumbai has become the first station in India to be run by an all-women staff.
- A total of 30 women staffers, including eleven booking clerks, five Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel and seven ticket checkers are working under station manager Mamta Kulkarni, who was the first female station master in Central Railway's Mumbai division.
India celebrated Falun Gong
- Falun Gong, the ancient Chinese holistic system that is banned in China, wascelebrated in India on July 15 with a parade and Human Word Formation in the capital.
- Organisers of the event, Falun Dafa Association of India, which has been teaching Falun Gong in India, said the event would highlight the persecution against the practitioners in China.
- Apart from the parade of July 15, the group will hold events and public interactions at Gandhi Smriti, Rajghat on July 14 and 15.
Mexican city named best for travel, Udaipur ranks 14: Survey
- San Miguel de Allende in Mexico has been named the World's Best City in a survey by Travel and Leisure magazine, while Udaipur has been ranked 14th.
- US city Charleston, Thai city Chiang Mai, Japanese city Kyoto and Italian city Florence have completed the top five. Interestingly, seven of the 15 cities on the list are located in Asia.
US House passes bill on defence co-operation with India
- The U.S National Defence Authorisation Act (NDAA) 2018 passed by the House of Representatives has mandated the Secretaries of Defence and State to come up with a strategy for advancing defence cooperation between India and the U.S in six months. The legislation that appropriates funds for defence will have to be passed by the Senate before it moves for the President’s signature.
- Indian American Representative Ami Bera, Vice-Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, moved the amendment on US-India defence cooperation.
Indonesia renames part of South China Sea
- Indonesia will now refer to the northern areas of its exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea as the “North Natuna Sea” in an act of defiance against Beijing’s territorial ambitions in the region
- At a press conference in Jakarta, Deputy Minister for Marine Sovereignty Arif Havas Oegroseno unveiled a new map with the renamed territory
- Part of the renamed area falls in China’s “nine-dash line” —— waters extending hundreds of miles to the south and east of China’s island province Hainan.
- China claims the entirety of the sea, but Vietnam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Brunei and Malaysia all have competing territorial claims to parts that are near their respective shores
- Indonesia is not the first country to rename part of the South China Sea.
- In 2011, the Philippines renamed the waters as the “West Philippine Sea” and two years later took the territorial dispute before an international tribunal at The Hague.
India, EU establish Investment Facilitation Mechanism
The mechanism will allow for a close coordination between the European Union and the India with an aim to promote and facilitate EU investment in India
This agreement builds on the joint statement of the 13th EU-India Summit held in Brussels in March 2016, where EU had welcomed India's readiness to establish such a mechanism and leaders from both sides had reaffirmed their shared commitment to oppose protectionism and to work in favour of a fair, transparent and rule-based trade and investment environment.
As part of the IFM, the EU Delegation to India and the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) agreed to hold regular high level meetings to assess and facilitate "ease of doing business" for EU investors in India.
Roger Federer beats Marin Cilic to win record 8th Wimbledon, 19th Grand Slam
- Roger Federer won a record eighth Wimbledon title and became the tournament’s oldest champion on Sunday with a straight-sets victory over injury-hit Marin Cilic who dramatically broke down in tears midway through the final.
- Federer claimed his 19th Grand Slam title 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 and at 35 is Wimbledon’s oldest men’s winner of the modern era, succeeding Arthur Ashe, who was almost 32 when he won in 1976.
Garbine Muguruza hammers Venus Williams to win first Wimbledon title
- Garbine Muguruza took just one hour and 17 minutes to beat five-time winner Venus Williams 7-5, 6-0 to clinch her maiden Wimbledon and second Grand Slam title.
- The Spaniard had also clinched the 2016 French Open. It was a sad end for Venus Williams’ campaign, who reached the women’s singles final for the first time in nine years.
President of India Inaugurates 7th Edition of KKM Memorial Gold Cup - Rural Football Tournament
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 7th Edition of Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee Rural Football Tournament at Mackenzie Park Football Ground in Murshidabad district of West Bengal today (July 14, 2017).
- The President witnessed an exhibition match between Mohun Bagan U-19 and Kingfisher East Bengal U-19. Mohun Bagan won the match by 1-0.
- The President greeted the players of both the teams and presented awards.
Harinder Pal Sandhu wins Victorian Open squash title
- India's Harinder Pal Sandhu continued his fine run by winning a second title in two weeks, beating top-seed Rex Hedrick of Australia 12-14, 11-3, 11-4, 11-7 in a 77-minute final of Victorian Open squash, a PSA Tour event, in Melbourne on Sunday.
- Sandhu, who had reached the final without dropping a game, ran into an opponent, who was ready for a long battle. The first game saw long rallies and Hedrick held his nerve to win it on extra points as the two mixed caution with aggression.
Awards & Honours
IIFA Awards 2017: Complete List
Sonam Kapoor’s film Neerja won the best film award. Actor Shahid Kapoor earned the Best Actor award for his role in Udta Punjab, while Alia Bhatt won the Best Actor (Female) award for the same film.
Here’s the complete list of the IIFA 2017 winners:
- Best Film: Neerja
- Best Director: AnirudhRoy Chaudhary for Pink
- Best Actor (Male): Shahid Kapoor for Udta Punjab
- Best Actor (Female): Alia Bhatt for Udta Punjab
- Best Actor in Supporting Role (Female): Shabana Azmi for Neerja
- Best Actor in Supporting Role (Male): Anupam Kher for MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Best Debutant (Female): Disha Patani for M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Best Lyricist: Amitabh Bhattacharya for the song Channa Mere Ya
- Best Playback Singer (Male): Amit Mishra for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Best Playback Singer (Female): Kanika Kapoor for Udta Punjab, Tulsi Kumar for Airlift
- Best Music Direction: Pritam for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Best Actor In Comic Role: Varun Dhawan for Dishoom
- Myntra Style Icon Award: Alia Bhatt
- IIFA Woman Of The Year: Tapsee Pannu
Singapore Airlines rated best airline in the world
- Singapore Airlines has been rated the world's best airline in a survey by the Travel and Leisure magazine.
- It has been followed by Emirates and Qatar Airways at second and third place respectively, while Cathay Pacific Airways and Japan Airlines have completed the top five.
- Virgin Atlantic, Air New Zealand, and Korean Air have also made it to the list.
6 Indian hotels in World's Best Hotels list
- Six Indian hotels have made it to the World's 100 Best Hotels survey by the Travel + Leisure magazine, with The Oberoi Vanyavilas in Ranthambhore ranking 16th.
- The Leela Palace in Udaipur was ranked 34th, while Taj Rambagh Palace in Jaipur was ranked 43rd. The list includes The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur, The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, and The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur.
Raipur Airport Ranked First in Customer Satisfaction Index Survey
- Raipurs Swami Vivekananda Airport was once again ranked first in Customer Satisfaction among 49 airports in the country.
- Raipur Airport achieved 4.84 score on a five point scale index in the latest CSI survey conducted by an independent agency for the period of January-June 2017, followed by Udaipur, Amritsar and Dehradun airports which have scored 4.75, 4.74 and 4.73 respectively.
- Airport Authority of India makes continuous efforts to improve the services and passenger facilities at its airports, and this has placed it amongst the best service providers in the world.
- Customer Satisfaction is one of the key performance objectives of AAI which is evaluated through Customer Satisfaction Survey conducted by an independent agency commissioned by AAI.
- The survey covers a wide range of parameters like transportation, parking, passenger facilities and cleanliness etc. T
- he integrated terminal building of Raipur was inaugurated in 2012. High level maintenance of infrastructure and passenger facilities, the green ambience, state-of -the- art technology and courteous staff ensuring passenger satisfaction has resulted in Raipur getting this recognition for the third consecutive time in the past two years.
Superwoman Lilly Singh Appointed Unicef Goodwill Ambassador
- Indian-origin Canadian YouTube sensation, comedian and author, Lilly Singh was appointed Unicef's Goodwill Ambassador at a special event here.
- On the digital platform, the 28-year-old is known as Superwoman. Lilly travelled with Unicef to Madhya Pradesh, where she met children and adolescents growing up in challenging circumstances such as extreme poverty, but have been able to bring positive changes to their lives.
- In her role as a Goodwill Ambassador, Lilly will use her unique digital presence to engage children and youth and empower them to speak out about the challenges they face
Books & Authors
Katie Price unveils new novel
- Former glamour model Katie Price has unveiled the cover for her next novel "Playing With Fire", which will be available later this year.
- The 39-year-old television personality took to social media to share a first glimpse of the artwork for her 11th novel, which she announced would hit shelves on October 19, reported Contactmusic.
- Sharing an image of the artwork - which features the figure of a woman in a sequined dress with long brunette tresses looking out over a city skyline - on both Instagram and Twitter, Katie wrote, "Excited to reveal the cover of my new novel, PLAYING WITH FIRE, out on October 19. You can pre- order now."
- The novel follows the story of a 27-year-old events manager named Indigo, who falls for restaurant entrepreneur Connor after she is tasked with planning the opening of his new Shoreditch nightclub.
Maryam Mirzakhani died at 40
- Maryam Mirzakhani, an Iranian mathematician who was the only woman ever to win a Fields Medal, the most prestigious honor in mathematics, died on Saturday. She was 40.
- The cause was breast cancer, said Stanford University, where she was a professor.
- The Fields Medal, established in 1936, is often described as the Nobel Prizeof mathematics. But unlike the Nobels, the Fields are bestowed only on people aged 40 or younger, not just to honor their accomplishments but also to predict future mathematical triumphs.
- The Fields are awarded every four years, with up to four mathematicians chosen at a time.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here