Kargil Vijay Diwas: 26 July
- Kargil Vijay Diwas, named after the success of Operation Vijay. On this day, 26 July 1999, India successfully took command of the high outposts which had been lost to Pakistani intruders.
- The Kargil war was fought for more than 60 days, ended on 26 July and resulted in the loss of life on both sides, India and Pakistan and with the India regain possessions of Kargil
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 26 July every year in honour of the Kargil War's Heroes. This day is celebrated in the Kargil - Dras sector and the national capital New Delhi, where the Prime Minister of India, pays homage to the soldiers at Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate every year.
- Functions are also organized all over the country to commemorate the contribution of the Armed forces
Lok Sabha Passes the Admiralty Bill,2016
- The Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Bill, 2016 was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday.
- The Bill aims to establish a legal framework to consolidate the existing laws relating to admiralty jurisdiction of courts, admiralty proceedings on maritime claims, arrest of vessels and related issues. It also aims to replace archaic laws which are hindering efficient governance.
- The Bill confers admiralty jurisdiction on High Courts located in coastal states of India and this jurisdiction extends upto territorial waters.
- The Bill provides for prioritization of maritime claims and maritime liens while providing protection to owners, charterers, operators, crew members and seafarers at the same time.
FSSAI bans stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is banning the use of stapler pins in tea bags effective January 1, 2018.
- The move is expected to affect the fast growing packaged tea business in the country, as FSSAI has deemed the use of stapler pins in tea bag a serious health hazard.
- It has also directed all food safety commissioners to take action to prevent the use of unsafe packaging materials by companies and take up measures for enforcement of its order.
- According to industry estimates, the tea bag segment contributes 3-4 per cent by value of total tea sales but it is one of the fastest growing segments at 50-60 per cent year-on-year.
India to host maiden men's World Boxing Championship in 2021
- Boxing Federation of India (BFI) managed a major coup by bringing to India the 2021 men's World Championship for the first time as well as the women's Worlds next year.
- Both the events will be taking place in the Capital, according to the proposal submitted by BFI president Ajay Singh at the two-day International Boxing Association (AIBA) meeting in Moscow.
Bolivia’s President Declares ‘Total Independence’ From World Bank And IMF
- Bolivia’s President Evo Morales has been highlighting his government’s independence from international money lending organizations and their detrimental impact the nation
- Bolivia’s past dependence on the agencies was so great that the International Monetary Fund had an office in government headquarters and even participated in their meetings.
- Bolivia is now in the process of becoming a member of the Southern Common Market, Mercosur and Morales attended the group’s summit in Argentina last week.
- Bolivia’s popular uprising known as the The Cochabamba Water War in 2000 against United States-based Bechtel Corporation over water privatization and the associated World Bank policies shed light on some of the debt issues facing the region.
Konsam wins gold in Asian Youth & Junior Weightlifting c'ship
- Indian weightlifter Konsam Ormila Devi has bagged a gold medal at the Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The weightlifter from Manipur lifted 56kg in snatch and 70kg in clean & jerk for a total effort of 126kg in the 44kg weight category to finish on the top of the podium, according to a release from the Indian Weightlifting Federation.
Banking & Finance
StanChart unveils forex card
- Standard Chartered Bank has launched a Multi-currency Forex Card for overseas travellers.
- The card will allow customers the convenience of loading up to 20 widely used currencies on one card with an online reload facility during overseas travel.
- The card will offer travellers protection against the frequent currency fluctuations by locking in the currency exchange rate they availed during the time of loading the card, and not pay different rates every time they use the card.
Awards & Honours
Veteran actress Shakuntala Barua gets Mahanayak Samman 2017
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee conferred this years Mahanayak Samman 2017 to veteran actress Shakuntala Barua for her contribution to the world of cinema.
- Suparnokanti Karati for Bisarjan film and Shiboprasad Mukhopadhyay of Windows Productions for Praktan film were also among the awardees for Best Film and Best Producer categories,
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here