Ministry of Earth Sciences Celebrates its 11th Foundation Day on July 28, 2017
- Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change Dr. Harshvardhan inaugurated the 11th Foundation Day of Ministry of Earth Sciences in New Delhi On this occasion, the Minister also launched two Mobile Apps (i) India Quake for dissemination of earthquake parameters and (ii) Sagar Vani to disseminate ocean information and alerts to the user community in timely manner.
- The Life Time Excellence Award was presented to Professor K. Gopalan for his significant contribution in the field of isotope geoscience.
- The National Awards for Ocean Science & technology, Atmospheric Science & technology and Geoscience & technology were given to Prof. P. N. Vinayachandran, Dr. K. Krishnamoorthy and Professsor K. S. Krishna respectively.
- The Young Researcher Awards were presented to Dr. Dhanya C. T. and Dr. Vikram Vishal for their outstanding work in Earth Science & Technology.
Download GK Digest Android Application Now
PM launches deep-sea fishing scheme for Rameswaram fishermen
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched a deep-sea fishing scheme for fishermen of Tamilnadu that would help them overcome problems of fishing in Palk Strait.
- Under the initiative taken up under the “Blue Revolution” scheme, the Centre would allocate Rs 1,500 crore over a period of time for conversion of bottom trawling boats into deep sea liners.
- Under the Blue Revolution scheme, Rs 100 croe was allotted and as a Special Financial Package Rs 100 crore was sanctioned by the Centre for this initiative
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurates APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial In Rameswaram
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated a memorial dedicated to former president APJ Abdul Kalam at Peikarumbu near Rameswaram on his second death anniversary.
- He opened the memorial built in the hometown of the former president at a location where the mortal remains of the "missile man" are buried.
Mumbai Metro to Launch India’s First Mobile Ticketing System
- In a move to ease commuter woes, Mumbai Metro One announced the launch of India’s first mobile ticketing system, OnGo
- This system will help commuters pass the AFC (automated fare collection) gates using their mobile phones
- The commuters will be able to buy tickets or monthly passes using the Mumbai Metro app on their smartphone. Once they make the payment using their mobile wallet or e-wallet, a QR code will be generated.
- The gate’s sensor will then scan this code and let them access the platform.
Australia sends its first uranium shipment to India
- Australia has sent its first uranium shipment to India for testing purposes ahead of possible commercial sales.
- This comes after India and Australia signed an agreement for civil nuclear cooperation in 2014 to meet India's growing energy needs.
- This is a first of its kind agreement as India is not a party to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
Sports Amateur golfer Diksha wins silver at Deaflympics
- Young Indian golfer Diksha Dagar scripted history after winning a silver medal in the womens individual golf event of the Deaflympics, which is being held at the Samsun, Turkey.
- The 16-year-old from Haryana got a bye in the quarterfinals and then defeated Germanys Gonzalez Podbicanin A 9 & 8 in the semifinals to set up a final clash with Yost Kaylin, who plays in the Ladies Professional golf tour of America, for the gold medal.
- Diksha had broken a field record in the first round with two-under 68 and carded 71 in the second round to total one- under 139, while Kaylin (73, 69) totalled two-over 142.
Ranking & Index
Forbes list of world’s billionaires
- Forbes world’s billionaires' list was announced on Friday with oil to telecom business owner, Mukesh Ambani still the richest Indian on the list.
- Gates has topped Forbes list of the world's billionaires for 18 out of the past 23 years,
- Top 10 Richest Indians are: Mukesh Ambani, Dilip Shanghvi, Hinduja family, Azim Premji , Pallonji Mistry , Lakshmi Mittal, Godrej family, Shiv Nadar, Kumar Birla, Cyrus Poonawalla
Banking & Finance
Punjab National Bank ties up with Bajaj Allianz General for distribution
- State-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance have signed an agreement for the distribution of insurance products through the branches.
- Under this agreement, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance will offer personal lines of insurance products such as health, personal accident, home, motor and travel along with commercial line of insurance products such as property, marine and engineering insurance, etc to the bank's customers
BSE inks cooperation pact with Egyptian Exchange
- Leading bourse BSE today joined hands with Egyptian Exchange (EGX) for cooperation in exchange of information across business areas.
- The exchange aims to cross list and trade securities that would provide new investment alternatives to investors in both markets.
- The exchanges signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU), through which they have created possibilities for a range of opportunities to be studied and explored for the development of their businesses, products and markets and to share knowledge and build on both bourses' strategies to strengthen international connectivity.
- Ashishkumar Chauhan is the Managing Director and CEO at BSE
SIDBI starts merchant banking operations to help MSMEs tap market
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has started full-fledged merchant banking operations to benefit the expanding number of growth-oriented micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), especially those with a strong technology and innovation quotient.
- The initiative is aimed at enhancing the access of MSMEs to the capital markets, including the SME Trading Platform and Institutional Trading Platform
- SIDBI, by virtue of direct credit assistance for nearly two decades, also has a good number of such MSMEs that would like to list in the SME exchanges.
Awards & Achievements
Japanese who helped save Angkor Wat awarded “Asia’s Nobel”
- A Japanese historian Yoshiaki Ishizawa, who helped save Cambodia’s renowned Angkor Wat temple complex was among the winners of this year’s Magsaysay Awards, widely regarded as Asia’s version of the Nobel prize
- The Philippine Educational Theater Association was also honoured for 50 years of work in developing a national theatre, staging “protest” plays during the dictatorship of the late president
- Ferdinand Marcos Gethsie Shanmugam, 83, a Tamil psychological counsellor, also received the award for addressing emotional damage, particularly among women and children, who suffered from violence and disasters in her native Sri Lanka.
Andhra appoints P.V. Sindhu as Deputy Collector
- Olympics badminton silver medallist P.V. Sindhu was on Thursday appointed a Deputy Collector by the Andhra Pradesh government.
- Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu handed over the appointment letter to her at the state secretariat in the presence of her parents.
- The state government has asked Sindhu to join duty as deputy collector within 30 days.
- In May, the state legislature had passed a Bill amending the State Public Services Act to appoint Sindhu as a Group-I officer in the government.
- As any recruitment in public services has to be only through the State Public Service Commission, selection committee or employment exchange, the government had to amend the Andhra Pradesh (Regulation of Appointments to Public Services and Rationalisation of Staff Pattern and Pay Structure) Act, 1994.
Axis Bank extends Shikha Sharma's term by three years
- Shikha Sharma has been re-appointed as MD&CEO of Axis Bank for three-year term from June 2018, putting to rest rumours about her being sounded out to head Tata's financial services vertical.
- Axis Bank informed Bombay Stock Exchange that board of directors has approved the re-appointment.
- She joined Axis from ICICI Prudential Life where she was the managing director and chief executive and replaced the first chairman and chief executive of the bank P J Nayak.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here