World’s most liveable cities: Melbourne ranked Number 1
- The 2017 Global Liveability Ranking was released today by the Economist Intelligence Unit
- The EIU Liveability index scores 140 of the world’s major cities in healthcare, education, stability, culture, environment and infrastructure.
- Melbourne tops the index for the 7th time in a row with perfect scores for health, education and infrastructure
- Adelaide equal 5th with Canada’s Calgary
- Perth creeps into the 10 at 7th
First woman officer to get gallantry award in Army
- Major Mitali Madhumita on Friday became the first woman officer to receive a gallantry award in the Army.
- She was honoured along with 21 Army personnel for acts of bravery and distinguished service at the military station here during the South Western Command Investiture Ceremony.
- Major Madhumita became the first woman officer to get the Sena Medal (Gallantry
- Two Yudh Seva medals, nine Sena medals (Gallantry), two Sena medals (Distinguished) and eight Vishisht Seva medals were presented by General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, South Western Command, Lieutenant General S. K. Singh.
- Sepoy Jagtar Singh of the Punjab Regiment was awarded the Sena Medal (Gallantry) posthumously
- Sepoy Purna Limboo was also awarded the Sena Medal (Gallantry) for displaying exemplary courage during a search operation in Kulgam
Sandhu-Rojon appointed UN deputy representative for W Africa
- UN Secretary General Ant nio Guterres has appointed senior UN official Ruby Sandhu-Rojon as his new Deputy Special Representative for West Africa and the Sahel.
- Sandhu-Rojon succeeds Hiroute Guebre Sellassie, who completed her assignment this month.
- Sandhu-Rojon brings to the position extensive experience with the United Nations, including in leadership positions with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and strong strategic planning, coordination, and programmatic skills
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund launches ‘Plan Your Goal’ website
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund has launched a new website 'PlanYourGoal.com' to help users plan their investments according to their future financial goals.
- The website guides the users to plan their big spends, tax investments as well as the corpus required during retirement.
- The website also provides recommendations based on calculation
Odisha: Special programme to prevent spread of malaria
- A special programme would soon be launched to prevent the spread of malaria in remote areas of Odisha’s Ganjam district.
- The programme has been christened as “Durgama Anchalare Malaria Nirakaran” (DAMON).
- The health officials have identified over 135 remote villages under the jurisdiction of five community health centres as malaria prone areas.
- The community health centres have been identified as Patrapur, Adapada, Badagada, Dharakote and Gallery
- People testing positive for malaria will be provided treatment under the programme. Besides other diseases like malnutrition among the children and complicancy among the pregnant women will also be identified in the camps and necessary treatment will be provided
Maharashtra Launched Namo Yuva Rojgar Kendra
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has launched Namo Yuva Rojgar Kendra, a farmers’ market on wheels, which aims at delivering farm-fresh organic produce at reasonable prices.
- A total of 125 farm-to-home delivery vans will tour the city to sell the produce. So far, 10 vehicles with fresh farm produce have been rolled out in the city.
- The remaining 115 vehicles to be launched within a month. The vegetables sold in the mobile vans will be priced 25% lower than the average market rate.
- The initiative aims to generate jobs for uneducated youth and women.
BSE's IndiaINX to commence gold options from Aug 30 at GIFT IFSC
- The international exchange from BSE, IndiaINX, on Monday received an approval from the regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), to commence trading in Gold Options contracts - the first for India at GIFT IFSC.
- The underlying asset for the options will be IndiaINX Gold Futures, while the instrument type will be OPTCOM. Current Contract value with Strike price+ Premium will be $ 32, and Contract Size will be One India Inx Gold Futures contract.
- Minimum tick size is $ 0.1. The options types will be premium style European Call & Put Options, while contract months will be January, March, July, September and November.
- This instrument will give the buyer a right to buy or sell an underlier at a preset price on a future date. Considering the other gold contracts on BSE’s India INX, we are clocking daily average turnover of $ 35 Million
Sankara Rao to be IFCI Chief Executive
- IFCI Ltd, a government company, is set to have a new Managing Director & CEO in E Sankara Rao, who is currently Chief General Manager at India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has given its nod for the Department of Financial Services (DFS) proposal to appoint Emandi Sankara Rao as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of IFCI Ltd, official sources said.
- A formal order from DFS is expected soon. Rao’s appointment will be valid for three years. Rao is also currently a director and chief executive officer at IIFCL Asset Management Company Ltd.
India moves to revive TAPI gas pipeline
- India will host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline, senior officials on both sides confirmed.
- The decision was came during the sixth joint Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) meeting on trade, economic, scientific and technological cooperation.
- The pipeline, that had its ground-breaking ceremony in December 2015, has seen flagging interest since then for a number of reasons. India’s effort is to tap Turkmenistan’s Galkynysh gasfields, which are the fourth largest in the world.
- The Turkmenistan–Afghanistan–Pakistan–India Pipeline (TAPI), also known as Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline, is a natural gas pipeline being developed by the Asian Development Bank.
- The pipeline will transport Caspian Sea natural gas from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan into Pakistan and then to India. Construction on the project started in Turkmenistan on December 13th, 2015. The pipeline is expected to be operational by 2019.
- The abbreviation TAPI comes from the first letters of those countries. Proponents of the project see it as a modern continuation of the Silk Road
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here