Niti Aayog unveils strategy for national nutrition mission
- The government on Tuesday unveiled the national nutrition strategy which aims at ensuring every child, adolescent girl and woman attains optimal nutritional status by 2022.
- The Integrated Child Development Services Mission would be expanded to form a National Nutrition Mission along the lines of National Health Mission under the ministry of women and child development (WCD)
- The outcome of deliberations of an inter-ministerial group, the strategy document titled ‘Nourishing India’ envisages use of tracking and targeting children from birth until they are three years old,
India to grant gratis visa to Myanmar citizens
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced that India will grant gratis visa to Myanmarese citizens wanting to visit the country.
- He also announced that India has decided to release 40 Myanmarese citizens, currently lodged in various jails in India.
- Currently, the government issues gratis visas to nationals of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, North Korea, Jamaica, Maldives, Mauritius and South Africa, among others, as per the Ministry of External Affairs.
Virat Kohli fastest to 15,000 international runs
- Virat Kohli celebrated his milestone 50th T20 International by reaching 15,000 international runs in just 304 matches and becoming the fastest to do so as India played Sri Lanka in the lone T20 international at Colombo
- Kohli became the 33rd player to reach 15,000 runs and the only one with an average of above 50.
- Kohli also became the third-highest run-scorer in T20Is after he scored his 17th fifty in the shortest format.
- The India captain also became only the fourth player to notch up a half-century in his 50th T20I -- the others being Dilshan, Eoin Morgan and Shahid Afridi.
101-year old Man Kaur seeks votes for prestigious Laureus Award
- Centenarian sprinter Man Kaur, who has featured among the nominees for the prestigious 'Laureus World Best Sporting Moment of the Year 2017' Award, has sought the support of countrymen and sports enthusiasts around the world to vote for her in a global online poll.
- The 101-year-old Chandigarh-based Man Kaur is among the six contenders. She had won the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland earlier this year.
Banking & Business
Ujjivan Bank to replace loans with certificate deposits
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has said that it will bring down its cost of funds by up to 150 basis points during the current financial year by replacing 75% of its bank loans with borrowings using money market instruments including certificate of deposits.
- The decision follows the grant of a scheduled bank status to Ujjivan. Ujjivan, which operated a microfinance business received a licence to operate as a small finance bank earlier this year. An SFB has most of the features of a commercial bank including recognition as a scheduled bank. This means that the institution can raise money from the inter-bank money market.
Petronet LNG to build LNG import terminal in Sri Lanka
- Petronet LNG will build a liquefied natural gas (LNG) import terminal in Sri Lanka in collaboration with Japanese and Lankan companies.
- The Sri Lankan government issued a letter of intent to the Indian government in this regard on September 1
- A joint venture of Petronet LNG along with Japanese and Sri Lankan companies will develop an LNG Terminal in Sri Lanka to provide re-gassified natural gas to various power plants, domestic and transport sectors in Sri Lanka,
- Petronet, controlled by state oil firms, is India’s largest LNG importer. It operates two LNG terminal in the country and is aiming to build one each in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Awards & Honours
DIGISOL bags “Best Make In India Wi-Fi Company” Award at My India Wi-Fi Summit & Awards
- DIGISOL Systems Ltd a leading provider of Active and Passive Networking products, announced today that it has been awarded “Best Make In India Wi-Fi Company” at “My India Wi-Fi India Summit & Awards 2017”.
- The event was organised by leading digital media organisation DigiAnalysys in New Delhi with the active support and cooperation from leading players in the telecom industry.
- Awards were given in about 20 different categories.
- DIGISOL is the only vendor who manufactures IT networking products in India and is very proud of it. When local manufacturing was a difficult option, its Chairman, Mr. K.R. Naik started manufacturing in India.
- Since DIGISOL manufactures in India, it is able to customize its products as per Indian conditions and customers’ requirements.
- DIGISOL is trying to Indianize the product so that the product is by India, for India. D
Appointments & Resigns
Parineeti Chopra becomes the first Indian woman ambassador for Tourism Australia
- Parineeti Chopra has now been appointed as the first Indian woman ambassador in ''Friends of Australia'' (FOA) advocacy panel by Tourism Australia.
- The ''Friends of Australia'' programme has been devised as a way of fostering mutually beneficial, long-term friendship with those that Tourism Australia regards as unique storytellers.
- The panel also includes influential personalities like chef Sanjeev Kapoor and cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle.
Shri Haribhai Parthibhai Chaudhary Assumes Charge as Minister of State in Ministry of Mines
- The Secretary Mines, Shri Arun Kumar along with the senior officers of the mines ministry welcomed the newly appointed Minister of State in the Ministry of Mines and Ministry of Coal, Shri Haribhai Parthibhai Chaudhary in his office in Shastri Bhawan.
- Shri Chaudhary was Minister of State in Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) earlier and he has served as Minister of State in Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Telugu filmmaker CV Reddy appointed chairman of India's Academy Awards jury
- For the first time in 60 years, the Film Federation of India (FFI) has appointed a Telugu filmmaker and producer as the chairman for its Oscars committee.
- The jury is now being headed by Telugu filmmaker CV Reddy, and they will pick the deserving film to be nominated in the Best Foreign Language category for Oscars 2018.
- Mother India, Salaam Bombay and Lagaan are some of the films that made it to the final round of the Oscars. Veteran actor Kamal Haasan has the highest number of Oscar submissions from India.
- Reddy was a member of the Oscars jury back in 2012. Apart from direction, CV Reddy has produced films in Telugu, Tamil and Kannada. He made his directorial debut with Badili.
Balasubramanian quits HDFC Bank as head of corporate banking, heads back to Citibank
- Balasubramanian, head of corporate banking at HDFC Bank has quit the Mumbai-based lender to head back to Citibank,
- Balasubramanian had quit Citibank in April last year to head the large corporate section for HDFC Bank as the Mumbai based lender made a fresh push for large corporate clients at a time when local rivals were beseiged by rising NPAs.
- It is likely that Bala will replace his former boss Rahul Shukla who head corporate banking for Citibank in India.
MakeMyTrip president Ashish Kashyap resigns
- Online travel firm MakeMyTrip Ltd announced the resignation of president Ashish Kashyap with effect from September 30, 2017.
- Kashyap was associated with Ibibo Group for 10 years
- MakeMyTrip Ltd acquired Ibibo Group’s travel business in India in October 2016.
- MakeMyTrip (India) Pvt Limited and Ibibo Group Pvt. Ltd have entered into a separation agreement with Kashyap. This agreement, provides among other things, final settlement of dues and benefits to Mr Kashyap and certain obligations on Kashyap, including Non-Solicitation and Non-Competition which shall continue until 30 September 2019
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here