- India's first Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) treatment centre and clinic for the LGBTQ community was inaugurated by the Humsafar Trust in Mumbai.
- The clinic will provide free counselling and Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) used to treat the infection.
- Enemy Property Order, 2018:
- The central government has allowed the state governments to put enemy properties into public use.
- The central government has amended the guidelines for disposal of the Enemy Property Order, 2018, to facilitate usages of enemy property by the state government exclusively for public use.
- Enemy properties are the properties of the people who migrated to Pakistan during partition and also to China after the Sino-India war in 1962.
- Centre of Excellence for Differently-abled Persons:
- Hinduja Global Solutions (HGS) has teamed up with NASSCOM Foundation, to launch a centre of excellence in Bengaluru for training differently-abled persons.
- The centre will train a minimum of 100 PwDs making them industry-ready over the next 12 months with a goal to place at least 50 per cent of them in companies already sensitised for hiring them.
- Cloud Seeding Project – Varshadhare:
- ‘Varshadhare’, a cloud-seeding project, was launched in Karnataka to tackle the prospect of a fourth consecutive drought year.
- Hoysala Projects Pvt Ltd will carry out the cloud-seeding, will take up the operations from the airports of Hubli and Bengaluru over the next 60 days.
- Three Doppler radars will detect the rain-bearing clouds and enable their seeding. As part of the seeding strategy, special aircraft will disperse the chemical silver iodide as they fly through rain-bearing clouds that will trigger and enhance the precipitation.
- Black Hole Coin:
- The United Kingdom commemorated professor Stephen Hawking in a new 50 pence coin known as ‘Black Hole Coin’.
- It is a commemorative coin and not for circulation as currency.
- It was inspired by Hawking's work on black holes outlined in his bestselling book "A Brief History of Time”.
- Visually Impaired Friendly Coins:
- PM Narendra Modi unveiled the new series of Visually Impaired friendly coins of in the denominations of Re 1, Rs 2, Rs 5, Rs 10 and Rs 20.
- India got the first Rs 20 denomination coin which is shaped in the form of a 12-edged polygon with a design of grains.
- The coins are designed by the National Institute of Design.
- RBI Eases Business Guidelines for White Label ATMs:
- Reserve Bank of India has allowed white-label ATM operators (WLAOs) to buy wholesale cash from the RBI and currency chests, source cash from any scheduled bank
- WLAOs can buy wholesale cash, above a threshold of one lakh pieces (and in multiples thereof) of any denomination
- Banks can issue co-branded ATM cards in partnership with the authorised WLAOs, and may extend the benefit of ‘on-us’ transactions
- WLAOs can offer bill payment and interoperable cash deposit services, subject to technical feasibility and certification by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- The operators can display advertisements pertaining to non-financial products/services anywhere within the WLA premises.
- Childcare Facility by BoB:
- Bank of Baroda has become one of the first Public Sector Banks to launch a crèche/child daycare facility for children (6 months to 6 years of age) of its employees.
- The bank will bear 60% of the cost every month for each employee while 40% will be taken care by the parents.
- UBI Join Hands with HDFC Life Insurance:
- United Bank of India has signed a bancassurance deal with private life insurer HDFC Life Insurance Company.
- Through this partnership, United Bank’s customers will be able to take advantage of HDFC Life’s expertise in life insurance products, distribution and customer service.
Index and Reports
- Monster Salary Index:
- Men earn 19% more than women in India on an average.
- The gap has narrowed merely by 1% in 2018 from 20% a year ago
- Men (Rs 242.49) earned Rs 46.19 more in comparison to women (Rs 196.3).
- In IT/ITeS, there is a 26% pay gap in favour of men; in manufacturing, men earn 24% more than women; even in healthcare, caring services and social work, men earn 21% more than women.
- Trends in International Arms Transfers-2018 Report
- The report is published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)
- The assessment was done for a five-year period (2014-2018).
- India has been superseded by Saudi Arabia and dropped down to become the second largest importer of weapons in the world.
- World Gold Council Report
- As per the latest report by the World Gold Council (WGC), India has the 11th largest gold reserve, with the current holding pegged at 607 tonnes.
- India is the world’s largest consumer of gold.
- US is on the top followed by Germany and International Monetary Fund.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here