Businesses are allowed to remain Open 24 hour in Gujarat
- Gujarat assembly passes the Gujarat Shops and Establishments (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 2019 which allow the shops and other businesses in the state to operate 24×7.
- This Act replaced the Gujarat Shops and Establishments Act, 1948 which prevented shops and other businesses from operating between 12 to 6 a.m.
- According to the provision of the new act, working hours for women employees can only be between 6am to 9pm, which could be relaxed only if a written request is made and authorities have considered the safety issues for women.
India’s Last Captive white Tiger “Bajirao” Dies
- The last Captive of white tiger named “Bajirao” dies at the age of 18 due to chronic ankyloses (fusion of bones leads to abnormal stiffening and immobility of joint) on left shoulder and chronic senile generalised arthritis from past four years at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) in Borivali, Mumbai.
- About White Tiger:
- They are not a separate sub-species of tiger. They are basically a pigmentation variant of the Bengal Tiger mainly found in Madhya Pradesh, Assam, West Bengal, Bihar and in Sunderbans region. They are also called Bleached Tiger.
Purple Frog to state Amphibian of Kerala
- Purple frog could be soon designated as Kerala's state amphibian.
- Kerela's leading Herpetologists (a specialist in study of reptiles and amphibians) has Mooted this proposal
- About Purple Frog:
- Scientific Name: Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis (N. sahyadrensis).
- It is also known as Maveli Frog or Pignose Frog.
Government Introduces FAME II Scheme
- Government of India Introduces FAME II Scheme to boost the adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles.
- The scheme estimates that India as a country can save 64% of anticipated road-based mobility related energy demand and 37% of carbon emissions in 2030 by pursuing a shared, electric and connected mobility future.
- The transport sector in India continues to be the highest oil consuming sector and the use of diesel and petrol grew at 5.9% and 9.9% respectively in the last 10 years.
Re-Polling held in West Tripura
- The Election Commission has ordered re-polling in 168 booths of West Tripura parliamentary constituency on 12th May 2019
Microsoft Launches "ElectionGuard" for secure voting
- A free open-source Software Development Kit (SDK) "ElectionGuard" Launched by Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella to help nations to carry out secure and verifiable voting.
- About ElectionGuard:
- During the process of voting, voters have an optional step which allows them to track their votes from the moment he/she casts it, after the voter has verified the selections are correct to the final step of counting the votes.
- It does not work with vote-by-mail systems and is not designed to work with internet voting schemes as it can be easily hacked.
New species of Reddish-Brown Pit Viper in Arunachal Pradesh
- New species of Reddish-Brown Pit Viper discovered in Arunachal Pradesh by a team of herpetologists (specialized in study of reptiles and amphibians).
- With this, India is now home to the fifth Brown Pit Viper.
India and Bangladesh to Produced Film on Mujibur Rahman
- A film based on the life and works of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and a documentary of Bangladesh Liberation War 1971 will jointly Produce by India and Bangladesh
- The movie will be directed by Shyam Benegal and the scriptwriter of the movie will be Atul Tiwari and the director of the documentary will be from Bangladesh who would be assisted by a co-director from India.
Publication of Fake News criminalized in Singapore
- A law (The Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Bill) which criminalises publication of fake news in the country and allows government to block and order removal of such content , has been Passed by Singapore Government.
- Offenders could face a jail term of up to 10 years and heavy fines.
Climate Emergency Declared Republic of Ireland
- Republic of Ireland declares a climate emergency and with this it becomes second country in the world to declare this.
- Earlier on 1st May 2019, Britain's parliament became the first in the world to declare a climate emergency.
Contract signed Between Konkan Railways and Nepal Railways
- The contract agreement was signed between India's Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd and Nepal's Department of Railways to supply two 1600 HP Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) train sets.
- The trains will be manufactured by Integrated Coach Factory (owned and operated by Indian Railways) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- These trains will be used to operationalise the 34 km long railway corridor stretch which links Jayanagar in Bihar, India and Kurtha in Dhanusa district, Nepal.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here