Amendment to Factories Act approved by the Goa Government
- The state government of Goa recently approved an amendment to Factories Act 1948 which will allow the deployment of women in night shifts (from 7pm to 6 am) in industries.
- The Amendment Bill was approved by the state cabinet and is set to be tabled during the upcoming Legislative Assembly session.
- Significance of the Amendment:
- The amendment will allow the deployment of women in night shifts in industries and might end the discrimination against female workers as far as job opportunities are concerned.
- What is the Factories Act 1948?
- It is administered by Union Ministry of Labour and Employment via Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes (DGFASLI), which advises Central and State Governments on the administration of Factories Act and coordinates factory inspection services in States.
Trump for being the 1st sitting US president to enter North Korea
- United States President Donald Trump became the first sitting US president to set foot in Democratic People's Republic of Korea (or North Korea) when he met its leader, Kim Jong Un, in Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) between North Korea and South Korea.
- President Donald Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the border village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone, South Korea and agreed to resume stalled nuclear talks.
- About previous US-North Korea Meets:
- 1st Summit:
- At the summit, a joint statement was signed between the two agreeing to security guarantees for North Korea, denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, new peaceful relations, recovery of soldiers' remains, and follow-up negotiations between high-level officials.
- 2nd Summit:
- This meet was cut short and no agreement was reached as the two sides failed to narrow differences between them.
India pledges USD 5 Million to UN Palestine Refugee Agency
- As per India's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador K. Nagaraj Naidu, the government increased its annual financial contribution fourfold to the UNRWA core budget from USD 1.25 million in 2016 to USD 5 million in 2018.
- India was represented at a meeting of the General Assembly Ad Hoc Committee for Voluntary Contributions to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).
- India is providing 150 places for Palestinian professionals every year under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation program.
After 31 Years, Japan resumes Commercial Whaling
- Japan has resumed commercial whaling after a period of 31 years but will stay within the country's exclusive economic waters.
- On 1st July 2019 Whaling boats embarked their first commercial hunts since 1988.
- This comes after Japan's 6-month notice to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission (IWC) took effect on 30th June 2019.
- About the International Whaling Commission:
- It is an international body set up under the International Convention for Regulation of Whaling (ICRW), which was signed in 1946 in Washington D.C., United States.
- IWC headquarters are at Impington, England.
U.P. Launches"Dastak Campaign" to eradicate AES & JE
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched a massive campaign called 'Dastak' to eradicate the deadly Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanese Encephalitis (JE) disease.
- It is a state-wide campaign against communicative diseases which will run from 1st to 31st July 2019.
- Under the campaign, teams will go door to door in every village of the state's 75 districts to create awareness about communicable diseases as well as Acute Encephalitis Syndrome and Japanese Encephalitis.
- The campaign will ensure the availability of clean drinking water and initiate sanitation drive.
'Tamil Yeoman' or 'Tamil Maravan' declared as the state butterfly
- Maharashtra the first to declare Blue Mormon (Papilio Polgmnestor) as its state butterfly.
- About Tamil Yeoman:
- Its scientific name is Cirrochroa Thais.
- It is endemic to the Western Ghats.
- A dark brown outer ring.
- Size: 60-75mm.
'Jal Shakti Abhiyan' launched for Water Conservation
- Union Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched 'Jal Shakti Abhiyan'- a campaign for water conservation and water security in 1592 stressed blocks in 256 districts.
- It is a collaborative effort of various Union Ministries and State Governments, being coordinated by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS).
- Central Government officers, led by Joint Secretaries and Additional Secretaries, are assigned to these 256 districts and District Administration will also nominate 2 members to join the team.
- Significance of this Campaign:
- With this initiative, the Government aims to provide drinking water to every household on priority and in a sustainable manner.
- The Campaign will help people to work for rainwater harvesting, maintenance and upkeep of ponds and village tanks and conservation of water.
Special Rhino Protection Force deployed in Kaziranga National Park
- An 82-member Special Rhino Protection Force which is trained to combat poachers and understand animal behaviour was recently deployed in Kaziranga National Park (KNP).
- In July 2018 members recruited were given appointment letter after which they were trained at the Forest Guard School in eastern Assam's Makum.
- All recruits also underwent weapons training at the 9th Assam Police Battalion in Nagaon district of Assam.
- The state government of Assam would be paying salaries to SRPF members and the amount would be reimbursed by National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) which recommended setting up of this special force.
- It consists of 82 personnel among whom eight are women.
- About Kaziranga National Park:
- The 430 sq.km national parks are located in Golaghat and Nagaon districts of Assam.
- It is home to World's largest population of One Horned Rhinoceros i.e. about 68%.
- The One-Horned Rhinoceroses are listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
34th edition of Hyderabad Sailing Week inaugurated
- The 34th edition of Hyderabad Sailing Week- National Ranking Multi-Class Championship 2019 was inaugurated by Governor of Telangana ESL Narasimhan in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The championship is held every year in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad and is going to be held at the Hussain Sagar Lake.
- 2019 is a landmark year for EME Sailing Association as this year the event has been accredited as YAI National Ranking Event hence, participant sailors' performance will be ranked and this will give them points for selection into the National team.
- About the Participants:
- Participants include 190 plus sailors, 16 sailing clubs with around 21 sailors from Telangana state alone.
Mega Pollution Awareness Campaign Conducted by NCC
- This is an 11-day national campaign to raise awareness among people about various kinds of pollution and their effect
- The initiative is taken by the Ministry of Defence
- It aims to mobilise NCC cadets spread across 17 different directorates, targets all districts of the country
- On July 11, theme-based programmes will be culminated at various locations across the country to coincide with World Pollution Day
Zero Budget Natural Farming
- The Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a proposal of Zero Budget Natural Farming in budget 2019 for doubling farmer’s income in the country.
- “Zero budget” stands for no production cost in farming and “Natural Farming” stands for doing farming without any aided chemical fertilizer or external seed and only using natural resources.
- Aim to pull farmers out of the debt trap, cutting production cost and make small scale farming a viable option
- Practice only natural growth of crops
- Bijamrita, Jiwamrita, Mulching and Waaphasa are the processes of ZBNF
Tapan Ray committee set up by RBI to review CIC
- RBI has set up a committee to review the regulatory guidelines and supervisory framework of Core Investment Companies (CIC).
- Tapan Ray will be the chairman of the working group (of 6 members) who is presently Non-Executive Chairman of Central Bank of India and former Secretary of Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Terms of Reference of the committee:
- To examine the current regulatory framework for CIC and suggest changes therein.
- To strengthen corporate governance and disclosure requirements for CIC.
- Core Investment Companies (CIC):
- CIC is a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) that is indulged in the business of acquiring shares and securities.
- The CIC holds not less than 90% of its net assets in the form of investment.
DD channel for start-ups
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman proposes to start a DD channel exclusively for start-ups announcing the Union Budget 2019-20
- In 2016, the Department o.f Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has suggested setting up a channel dedicated to startups to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Owned by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
|Name of the Person||Designation|
|Sarada Kumar Hota||MD of National Housing Bank|
|Manoj Kumar Nambiar||New Chairman of MFIN|
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here