Vocabulary development is a vital part of language learning but it is too often ignored. The link between vocabulary knowledge and comprehension is undeniable. There is not even an iota of doubt that that reading increases a person’s vocabulary significantly. A limited vocabulary often equals to a limited education and a limited career and if you aspire and have a passion for developing your career, you would have to develop your vocabulary so that you could become capable of communicating more clearly with people around you and in turn they will also understand your thoughts more easily, and you will gain an image and the perception of being an intelligent individual. There are many ways to improve your vocabulary but reading newspapers is considered as one of the best options. career, you would have to develop your vocabulary so that you could become capable of communicating more clearly with people around you and in turn they will also understand your thoughts more easily, and you will gain an image and the perception of being an intelligent individual. There are many ways to improve your vocabulary but reading newspapers is considered as one of the best options.
Tips to Expand Your Vocabulary through Newspapers:
Hereunder given are some valuable tips to broaden one’s vocabulary of the English language through the route of English newspapers:
- Subscribe to two English newspapers regularly – one being the best one in the country and the other one being the best one in your state.
- The choice of the newspapers may differ from one person to another but the humble suggestion is to go in for “The Hindu” and “The Tribune”.
- Just scan through the headlines only on all the pages of both the newspapers. This method will provide you an overall glimpse of what’s happening in your city, your state, your country and your world.
- Mark some of the headlines with a marker of both the newspapers which appear to be interesting to you and which are of significance from the viewpoint of competitive examinations. This process would also add to your current affairs knowledge to some extent.
- Now make a regular and committed habit of reading every word on the front page and the last page of both the newspapers. Attentively not only read but also comprehend everything on the four pages (2 newspapers x 2 pages of both the newspapers).
- Just note down eight words per day which you might not know. Two words only from the four pages of two newspapers. Neither less nor more. It is a humble suggestion as the say slow and steady wins the race.
- Don’t immediately jump to the dictionary or over to the internet for finding out the correct meaning of those eight words.
- First of all, try to comprehend the meaning of the word selected. You have an overall idea of the news item. The word may be related to that news only. Read the complete sentence using that word at least two times and try to judge the meaning on your own.
- Try to skip and omit that word deliberately as is done in the “Cloze Test”. Attempt to derive meaning relating to the context of the news item.
- After arriving at a certain conclusion about the meaning of those eight words, check the exact meaning of those eight words either with the help of a good dictionary or through the internet with the help of Google Translation. Use of Google Translation is the best method as it provides you with an example of a sentence using that word besides giving meanings from English to Hindi, or from English to Punjabi or from English to English. Use all the four options. And write down the exact meaning on your notebook along with the word already noted.
- In the evening, as per the availability of time to you, try to use those eight words in different eight sentences of your own. You may also try to use those eight words in a paragraph if you find some sort of connectivity among those words. Also try to learn the correct pronunciations, synonyms, and antonyms of the eight words on a regular basis.
- Try to use those words, if possible, in your informal verbal and non-verbal chatting.
- In order to broaden your knowledge about Current Affairs, always make it a habit of going through the editorials of both the newspapers. This would not only enhance your knowledge levels but also help you to improve the style of your written communication. After going through the editorials, your confidence level also gets boosted in order to participate in the Group Discussion which is an integral part of the selection for the higher level posts.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here