What is National Ayush Mission (NAM)?
- AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
- Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has launched National AYUSH Mission (NAM) during 12th Plan.
- The National AYUSH Mission covers essential facilities like AYUSH Hospitals and Dispensaries, development of AYUSH Educational Institutions, ASU&H(Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani & Homoeopathy) drugs quality control covering State Government ASU & HPharmacies, State Drugs Testing Laboratories, drugs control framework and promotion of Medicinal Plants.
- The traditional medicine treatments have a huge potential to solve the various health problems . Promotion of these medicine systems is the need of the hour as they offer numerous benefits and employment etc.
- As all allopathic and surgical procedures focus on the treatment of a disease, the AYUSH system focus on overall healthy lifestyle as the key to good health.
Objectives of National Ayush Mission (NAM)
- One of the most important objectives is to provide cost effective AYUSH health care through out the country by improving access to the AYUSH Services.
- To strengthen institutional capacity at the state level by upgrading AYUSH educational institutions, State Govt. ASU&H Pharmacies, Drug Testing Laboratories.
- To Support cultivation of medicinal plants by adopting Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) to provide sustained supply of quality raw-materials.
- Help in setting up of clusters through convergence of cultivation, warehousing, value addition and marketing and development of infrastructure for entrepreneurs.
Different Benefits of AYUSH
- AYUSH healthcare services are cheap and affordable.
- Traditional medicines have comparatively lesser side effects.
- Very helpful towards lifestyle related disorders, especially yoga.
- Overall focus on health of body and mind. Thus, it is focused on prevention, being true to the fact that "prevention is better than cure".
Nodal Department for implementing National AYUSH Mission (NAM)
- At the Centre, Department of AYUSH is responsible as the nodal Department for implementing National AYUSH Mission. The Mission is steered by a National AYUSH Mission (NAM) Directorate, Chaired by Secretary, Department of AYUSH.
- At the State level, the Mission is governed and executed by a State AYUSH Society. The Governing Body is chaired by the Chief Secretary and Principal Secretary/Secretary I/c of AYUSH/ Health & F.W. of the concerned State is the convenor.
- The Governing Body of the State AYUSH society will finalize the State Annual Action Plan (SAAP) after recommendations by the Executive Body.
- The Mission Directorate of National AYUSH Mission has been vested with adequate administrative and financial powers to enable it to achieve the objectives of the Mission.
The Way forward
- The doubts regarding the efficacy and safety of AYUSH systems need to be addressed via scientific research.
- Traditional knowledge of Ayurveda should be protected from piracy and misappropriation.
- Development of Standard Treatment protocols to build public trust in AYUSH.
- Emphasis on the preventive aspect of these systems especially Yoga is the key. PM Modi led the way when he emphasized that Yoga is akin to health insurance.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here