- The new scheme SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) is nothing but the restructuring of Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) below new Central Sector Scheme.
- It was approved by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), which was headed by the honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for the period of time 2016-2020.
- The scheme was announced by Union Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
Scheme Combined With SAMPADA
- Many existing schemes will be combined under this major scheme. Namely, schemes of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) like Mega Food Parks, Integrated Cold Chain and Assessment Addition Infrastructure, Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure, etc.
- It will also comprise of the new schemes like Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters, Creation of Backwards and Forward Linkages, as well as Creation / Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities.
- SAMPADA with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 Crore is projected to help 20 lakh farmers and generate 5, 30,500 direct and indirect employment opportunities in the country by the year 2019-20.
- It will help in generating an investment of Rs 31,400 Crore and facilitate handling of 334 lakh tonne of agro-produce valuing Rs 1,04,125 Crore.
ObjectiveThe main objective of this scheme is focusing on the increase in agriculture, modernising processing methods of agri products and decreasing their wastage.
- The new scheme gives renewed push to the food processing sector in the country. Its intention is to progressing the modern infrastructure to facilitate entrepreneurs in setting up of food processing divisions based on cluster approach and deliver effective and seamless backward and forward integration for processed food industry.
- It suggests to accomplish this by plugging gaps in supply chain and development of infrastructure facilities for processing and preservation and modernization of existing food processing units.
- As a result, this programme will result in the formation of modern infrastructure tied with effective supply chain management from farm gate to a retail outlet.
- It would deliver better prices to farmers and would help in doubling their profits.
- The scheme, if implemented properly, will create a huge employment opportunities, exclusively in rural areas.
- From the viewpoint of the consumer, it would promote the availability of safe and convenient processed foods at a reasonable price.
- This sector added around 9.1% & 8.6% of Gross Value Added (GVA) in the field of manufacturing & agriculture, respectively in the financial year 2015-16.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here