Centre announces 30 more Smart Cities
- 30 more cities from across the country have been added to the Centre’s Smart Cities Mission.
- Marking the second anniversary of the launch of the Smart Cities Mission, Union Urban Development Ministery announced the new smart cities.
- It is the third round of the scheme.
- Now the total number of smart cities increases to 90.
ISRO puts 31 satellites in space
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched 31 satellites from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- 29 of the satellites belong to foreign countries
- Rocket Name: PSLV-C38
- Rocket carried the Cartosat-2 series satellite(a remote sensing satellite), the main payload, weighing 712 kg
- And another Indian satellite, NIUSAT, an Indian university/academic institute satellite from Noorul Islam University, Kanyakumari
- The other 29 nano satellites belonged to 14 nations — Austria, Belgium, Chile, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, the U.K., and the U.S.
Vocab from the ArticleCater: provide with what is needed or required.
As used in the Article: “Initially it [PSLV] was designed to put satellites in sun synchronous orbit… we could establish it could *cater* to any type of orbit – Geo Synchronous, Sun Synchronous orbit or low inclination orbit, carrying multiple satellites; Everything has been established. I’m sure this will be a major attraction for foreign customers,” Mr. Jayakumar said.
Premji to get Carnegie Medal for philanthropy
- Wipro Chairman Azim Premji is among the recepients of this year’s Carnegie Medal, for his efforts to reform India’s public school system.
- Mr. Premji is among the nine recipients recognised “for their outstanding and innovative leadership in philanthropy”.
- Carnegie Medal is considered the most prestigious prize in philanthropy.
- The Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy was established in 2001 and is awarded every two years.
Vocab from the ArticleSynergy: the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects
As used in the Article: “The foundation’s university and field institutions work *synergistically* toward the goal of creating a more equitable and just India,” the statement said.
Lenders clear $12.8 billion sale of Essar Oil to Rosneft
- A joint lenders forum (JLF) led by State Bank of India and ICICI Bank has approved and authorised the sale of Essar Oil to Russian energy major Rosneft and a consortium of Trafigura and United Capital Partners.
Panel to oversee progress in UN’s SDG
- The Centre will soon set up a high-level committee to oversee the country's progress towards UN’s Sustainable Development Goals aimed at ending poverty, fighting inequalities and tackling climate change.
- The Committee will be headed by Chief Statistician of India.
- A dashboard is also being developed with technical support from the UN Development Programme (UNDP) to “strengthen the mechanism” for monitoring progress on these global goals
M-banking now under ombudsman’s purview
- The Reserve Bank of India has widened the scope of the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006.
- Now, a customer can lodge a complaint against the bank for non-adherance to instructions related to mobile banking and electronic banking services.
- Important: The RBI has increased the power of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an award from the existing Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh.
Vocab from the ArticlePecuniary: relating to or consisting of money.
As used in the Article: The banking regulator also said that the *pecuniary* jurisdiction of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an award has been increased from the existing Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here