K. Kasturirangan to head panel on National Education Policy
- The HRD ministry has appointed space scientist Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan to head panel on New Education Policy (NEP).
- He will head a new nine-member panel.
Aadhaar not valid for travel to Nepal, Bhutan: Home ministry
- According to a order by Home Ministry, Aadhaar is not a valid identification document for Indians travelling to Nepal and Bhutan
- Indians can travel to Nepal and Bhutan, if they possess a valid national passport or election ID card issued by the Election Commission.
- Persons over 65 and below 15 years can show documents with photographs to confirm their age and identity. These include PAN card, driving licence, Central Government Health Service (CGHS) card and ration card but not Aadhaar.
- For Bhutan and Nepal, Indians don’t need visas.
ICHR member secretary resigns
- Indian Council for Historical Research (ICHR) member secretary Anand Shanker Singh has resigned.
In Mumbai, Taj Palace gets a trademark
- India’s Trade Mark Registry has assigned an image trademark to Mumbai’s Taj Mahal Palace hotel.
- This makes it the first structure in India to get such a trademark registration.
- It will enhance its stature in the international hospitality industry.
Vocab from the ArticleWreath: a curl or ring of smoke or cloud.
As used in the Article: In a sadder vein, the dome *wreathed* in flames and smoke became, arguably, the most lingering image of the terror attacks in Mumbai in 2008.
Infosys chairman to retire in 2018, wants smooth change
- Infosys chairman R. Seshasayee would retire in May 2018 after attaining the age of 70.
China shares in MSCI index: what it means
- Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) is ready to add China’s local currency shares, referred to as China ‘A’ shares, to its benchmark emerging markets index.
- MSCI: It is the world’s biggest index compiler.
- MSCI are closely tracked by global investors and therefore, very important.
Vocab from the ArticleOverture: an introduction to something more substantial; Preliminary
As used in the Article: Last week, Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI), a widely-tracked global index provider, said it would add China’s local currency shares, referred to as China ‘A’ shares, to its benchmark emerging markets index, after three years of having rejected *overtures* on the same.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here