Writer C. Narayana Reddy is dead
- Noted poet, lyricist and Jnanpeeth award winner C. Narayana Reddy, 85, died following a brief illness
- Popularly known in literary circles as ‘CiNaRe’, he penned over 3,000 songs for Telugu feature films
Vocab from the ArticleCondole: express sympathy for (someone); grieve with.
As used in the Article: Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan, Chief Ministers K. Chandrasekhar Rao and N. Chandrababu Naidu were among several VIPs who condoled his death.
Nalanda University signs MoU with S. Korean academy
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Nalanda University and Academy of South Korean Studies in Patna for academic linkages and collaborations.
- The vice-chancellors of both the universities were present.
Three new sites recognised as biodiversity hotspots in Goa
- BirdLife International (a conservation organisation) has recognised three new sites in Goa as hotspots for protection.
- The sites have been added to their list of “Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas”.
- The inclusion of these ecological hotspots in a new book come after systematic data collection by the Goa Bird Conservation Network (GBCN)
- New Sites: The list has now added Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, Navelim Wetlands and Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary
Vocab from the ArticleFragile: easily destroyed or threatened.
As used in the Article: The extent of Carambolim Wetland has been increased to include the fragile ecosystem of Dhado, which has recently become a wintering ground for many species of migratory birds.
Reliance General’s IPO plan wins nod
- Private-sector insurer Reliance General Insurance (RGI) has received the board’s approval for an initial public offering (IPO).
- What is an IPO?: It is the very first sale of stock issued by a company to the public.
- Reliance General Insurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of Anil Ambani’s Reliance Capital
Vocab from the ArticleDilute: reduce the value of (a shareholding) by issuing more shares in a company without increasing the values of its assets
As used in the Article: We are planning to dilute minimum 10% in the current financial year and by 25% by FY’21, as regulation mandates,” Rakesh Jain, executive director and CEO, Reliance General Insurance, said while addressing the media on Monday.
IRDAI’s R.K. Sharma to administer Sahara Life
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has appointed R.K. Sharma(general manager, F&A-NL) as administrator for managing the affairs of Sahara India Life Insurance Company Ltd. with immediate effect.
CDSL to hit market on June 19 to raise Rs. 521 cr.
- The initial public offer (IPO) of Central Depository Services (India) Ltd. (CDSL) will open on June 19 in which the depository will offer a total of 3.52 crore shares in the price band of Rs. 145-149 pegging the offer size at Rs. 521 crore.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here