|Edition||41st annual session|
|Held at||Krakow, Poland|
|Held on||2-12 July 2017|
|New Heritage sites||21|
|From India||Historic city of Ahmedabad|
|Total properties in list||1073
UNESCO:Identification, protection, and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world is the prime objective of The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). This is embodied in an international treaty called the "Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage", which was adopted by UNESCO in 1972.
World Heritage:The concept of World Heritage has a universal application. World Heritage sites belong to all people of the world, irrespective of the territory or place, where they are located.
Types of Heritage sites:The World Heritage sites are categorized into three types based on their significance. They are
- Cultural Site
- Natural Site
- Mixed Site
Among the 1073 properties in the World herHeritagest, 832 sites are categorized to Cultural Site, 206 sites are categorized to Natural Site and the remaining 35 are grouped under Mixed Site.
'World Heritage in Danger' List:This list is designed to inform about the conditions that threaten the properties of the heritage site, which was inscribed on the World Heritage sites list and to prompt for corrective action of the corresponding site.
Inscribing a site on the 'List of World Heritage in Danger' allows the World Heritage Committee to allocate immediate assistance from the 'World Heritage Fund' to the endangered site.
INDIAN PROPERTIES IN THE LIST:There are 36 properties in the World Heritage list from India. 28 sites belong to a Cultural category, 7 sites belong to a Natural category and 1 site belongs to a Mixed category.
They are listed as follows.The year in the bracket is the year in which the sites were inscribed on the list.
- Agra Fort (1983)
- Ajanta Caves (1983)
- Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara (Nalanda University) at Nalanda, Bihar (2016)
- Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989)
- Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) (2004)
- Churches and Convents of Goa (1986)
- Elephanta Caves (1987)
- Ellora Caves (1983)
- Fatehpur Sikri (1986)
- Great Living Chola Temples (1987)
- Group of Monuments at Hampi (1986)
- Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram (1984)
- Group of Monuments at Pattadakal (1987)
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan (2013)
- Historic City of Ahmadabad (2017)
- Humayun's Tomb, Delhi (1993)
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments (1986)
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya (2002)
- Mountain Railways of India (1999)
- Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi (1993)
- Rani-ki-Vav (the Queen’s Stepwell) at Patan, Gujarat (2014)
- Red Fort Complex (2007)
- Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka (2003)
- Sun Temple, Konârak (1984)
- Taj Mahal (1983)
- The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement (2016)
- The Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (2010)
- Great Himalayan National Park Conservation Area (2014)
- Kaziranga National Park (1985)
- Keoladeo National Park (1985)
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary (1985)
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks (1988)
- Sundarbans National Park (1987)
- Western Ghats (2012)
- Khangchendzonga National Park (2016)
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here