A revamped programme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20, name ‘Khelo India’ scheme has been approved by the Union Cabinet under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, which will identify and groom young sporting talent and mainstreaming sport as tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development.
- The scheme will cover 1,000 most talented young athletes each year across select sports disciplines and each athlete selected under scheme will receive annual scholarship worth Rs.5lakh for eight consecutive years.
- The cost under this scheme will be Rs 1,756 crore, the scheme will promote 20 universities across India as hubs of sporting excellence.
- It will cover about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 under a massive national physical fitness drive and create an active population with a healthy lifestyle.
- The Khelo India programme strives to promote “Sports for All” as well as “Sports for Excellence”, it is a gift for talented youngsters to excel in competitive sports.
- Its aims at engaging youth living in disturbed and deprived areas, in sporting activities also it strives to raise the standards of competition, both at school and college level, to have maximum access to organized sports competitions.
- The program would influence the entire sports ecosystem, including infrastructure, community sports, talent identification, coaching for excellence, competition structure and sports economy and help to Engage youth living in disturbed and deprived areas, in sporting activities
|Name of the scheme||Khelo India Scheme|
|Launched by||Government of India|
|Aim of this scheme||to identify and groom young sporting talent|
|Budget Cost||Rs 1,756 crore|
|Scheme will cover||1,000 most talented young athletes|
|scholarship worth||Rs.5 lakh|
|Duration for scholarship||Eight years|
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here