Vision of the program:
- To initiate transformation in the education and health sectors.
- The program addresses the need expressed by many states for technical support from NITI. SATH program is proposed to identify and build three future ‘role model’ states for health systems.
- NITI will work in close collaboration with their state machinery to design a robust roadmap, set up monitoring and tracking mechanisms and provide support on a range of institutional measures to achieve the end objectives.
- The program will be implemented by NITI along with McKinsey & Company and IPE Global consortium, which was selected through a competitive bidding procedure.
- To select the three model states, NITI has defined a three-stage procedure – Expression of interest, presentations by the states and assessment of commitment to health sector reforms.
- NITI invited all states and UTs to participate in the program. Sixteen states expressed primary interest, of which fourteen states made their presentations. They were:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Telangana and
- Uttar Pradesh
The states presented their project proposal to a Committee headed by Member of NITI Aayog, Shri Bibek Debroy and a representative from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Of these fourteen states, five have been shortlisted. Subsequently, three will be selected on the basis of further evaluations and objective assessment of various criteria.
Metrics such as MMR, IMR, incidence of malaria and others have also been considered for determining potential impact. Density of doctors and nurses, compliance to IPHS norms are some of the metrics used to determine the success.
The program will be launched in the three selected states after the signing of MoUs.
List of Schemes Launched By Government in 2016-2017
- Niti Aayog has shortlisted Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Karnataka under its ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital (SATH)’ initiative to support them and transform their health sector.
- The Aayog has also selected Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Odisha under its SATH initiative to transform their education sector.
About NITI Aayog:
- NITI Aayog, which is the abbreviation of The National Institution for Transforming India, was formed through a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015.
- NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
- NITI Aayog provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States by designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India. The Government of India constituted the NITI Aayog to replace the Planning Commission instituted in 1950.
- At the core of NITI Aayog’s creation are two hubs – Team India Hub and the Knowledge and Innovation Hub. The Team India Hub leads the engagement of states with the Central government, while the Knowledge and Innovation Hub builds NITI’s think-tank capabilities.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here