Banking and Financial Awareness
- SBI has waived charges for fund transfer of up to Rs. 1000, made through the IMPS (Immediate Payment Service).
- RBI to make LEI must for companies with over Rs 5 crore exposure, in a move to help preventing multiple loans to firms under same collateral.
- The Reserve Bank of India has formed a 10-member ‘High-Level Task Force" on developing a transparent Public Credit Registry (PCR)" for India.
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) became the first Indian company to cross Rs. 6 trillion market capitalization.
- In the Forbes magazine's list of richest persons, Founder of Magazine, Jeff Bezos surpassed Bill Gates.
- IndusInd Bank, in association with MobiKwik had announced the launch of wallet ‘IndusInd MobiKwik’ that allows its customers to pay at the MobiKwik merchant network using their accounts.
- The Indian government has announced an allocation of Rs 2.11 lakh crore over 2 years for the recapitalization of public sector banks.
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) has announced the appointment of Jayant Rikhye as the Chief Executive Officer for India.
- The Reserve Bank of India has clarified that linking of Aadhaar to the bank account is mandatory under the Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records) Second Amendment Rules, 2017.
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has appointed Suresh Sethi as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- The government has promoted senior IPS officers Rakesh Asthana as a special director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Shri Alok Kumar Pateria is appointed as the Additional Director General of CISF, Central Industrial Security Force.
- NS Venkatesh has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer of the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI).
- Sibi George has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland
- Sana Iqbal, Indian cross-country cyclist and anti-suicide activist died of traffic collision
- Eminent classical singer and Padma Vibhushan awardee Girija Devi has passed away at the age of 88.
- Famous Malayalam writer and Sahitya Akademi winner, Punathil Kunjabdulla passed away at the age of 77.
- Veteran Malayalam director I V Sasi, best known for his many famous films died at 69.
- John Mollo, British costume designer (Star Wars, Alien, Gandhi) and Oscar winner passed away
Honour and Awards
- Veteran theatre actor-director Ram Gopal Bajaj will be felicitated with Kalidas Samman.
- Indian-origin South African couple, Salim Abdool Karim and Quarraisha Abdool Karim has bagged the prestigious award by the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
- 11-year-old Indian-American schoolgirl Gitanjali Rao has been named as “America’s top young scientist”.
- L & T Tech Services Ltd is conferred with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Industrial Innovation award 2017
Books and Authors
- An e-book titled "India 2017 Yearbook " authored by Rajiv Mehrishi, Comptroller and Auditor General of India was launched by CM of Rajasthan.
- United Nations Day is annually observed on 24th October.
- World Development Information Day is celebrated on 24 October
- National Ayurveda Day is observed on 28 October annually.
MoUs and Partnerships:
- India and the United States have signed an agreement to implement the programme for Helicopter Operations from Ships Other Than Aircraft Carriers (HOSTAC).
- Indian Government signed a 65.5 Million USD agreement with ADB ( The Asian Development Bank) to support coastal protection in Karnataka.
- Ministry of Power and Ministry of Textiles have partnered to launch SAATHI initiative to help small textile industries.
Important News- World
- Burundi has become the first country to leave the International Criminal Court.
- The Parliament of Catalonia has declared independence from Spain.
- French Minister for the Armed Forces, Florence Parly is on a two-day visit to India.
- According to the 'Global Passport Power Rank 2017' by global financial advisory firm Arton Capital, Singapore has the world's "most powerful" passport.
- Saudi Arabia has become the first country to grant citizenship to a robot.
- Jacinda Ardern sworn in as New Zealand's 40th and the youngest prime minister in 150 years.
- The Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) Suraksha which was provided by the Indian Coast Guard to the Sri Lanka Navy last month has been commissioned as Sri Lanka Coast Guard Ships at the Colombo Harbor.
- Qatar announced that the country will introduce the minimum wage for workers of the country.
- Central American country Nicaragua has signed the Paris Agreement on climate change, leaving the United States and Syria which have not signed the pact yet.
Important News- India
- India has overtaken the United States to become the second-largest smartphone market in the world, after China in the first place.
- The Supreme Court has directed the governments of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan to ban the use of pet coke and furnace oil in the industries from November 1.
- Central Vigilance Commission has decided to develop an Integrity Index for broader strategy and emphasis on preventive vigilance.
- Ministry of Tourism has shortlisted seven companies and signed a Letter of Intent with them for fourteen monuments under "Adopt a Village Scheme".
- Ministry of Culture announced that The ‘Paika Bidroha’ (Paika rebellion) of 1817 will be renamed in the history books as ‘the First War of Independence’.
- The government of India has decided to restart halted political dialogue in Jammu Kashmir and Former Intelligence Bureau chief Dineshwar Sharma will be the Centre's interlocutor.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the international conference on Consumer Protection in New Delhi.
- Bharatmala, one of the largest highway construction project , was given the nod by the Union Cabinet. The total length of its first phase comes to around 34,800 km.
Science and Technology
- The International Conference of Heads of Metrology Institutes decided to drop the traditional system to measure the unit of kilogram. The new artefacts are to be derived from the constants of nature, that are interdependent.
- Techno Giant SAP launches Asia Pacific Japan region's first Leonardo Centre in Bengaluru.
- Reliance Communication had received the final approval on its merger with Sistema Shyam Teleservicex Ltd from the Department of Telecommunication.
- Larsen and Toubro (L&T) handed over offshore patrol vessel (OPV) named “Vikram” to the Indian Coast Guard.
- The first phase of national optic fibre network christened as Bharat Net project will be completed by December 2017
Important News- States
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu received the Golden Peacock Award in London, under the category of Global Leadership in Public Service and Economic Transformation.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the fifth edition of four-day Tawang festival.
- Odisha is declared as the 'Focus State' in the World Food India (WFI) event-2017, which will be held at New Delhi from November 3 to 5.
- India's first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in smart cities was inaugurated in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the 'roll-on-roll-off' (ro-ro) ferry service between Ghogha in Saurashtra and Dahej in south Gujarat.
- Haryana Government announced that 50-100 acres would be earmarked in major towns to set up ‘PG hostels for cattle’ thus providing a “central place” for milch cattle.
- The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, Edapaddi K Palanswami, laid the foundation stone for Rs.198 Crore estimated aerospace park at Kanchipuram district.
- In the latest list released by Forbes, Indian Cricket team captain Virat Kohli has been placed at the seventh spot with a brand value of $14.5 million.
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lieke Martens were awarded the UEFA Players of the Year 2017.
- Gaganjeet Bhullar has won his eighth Asian Tour title at the Macao Open 2017.
- Indian hockey team has clinched Asia Cup 2017 title by defeating Malaysia.
- Indian Badminton Star, Kidambi Srikanth clinched his Denmark Open Super Series Premier title.
- The Cricket Association of Puducherry was chosen as an Associate Member of BCCI.
- Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu pair of India bagged first gold medal of the International Shooting Sports Federation(ISSF) World Cup Final in New Delhi.
- PFMS : Public Finance Management System
- OPV : Offshore Patrol Vessel
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here