Directions (1-7): In the passage given below, there are 7 blanks, each followed by a word given in bold and has four alternative words given in options (a), (b), (c) and (d). You have to tell which word will best suit in the given blank. Mark (e) as your answer if the word given in bold after the blank is your answer.
he collapses of a great wall --------(1)-------- garbage in east Delhi’s Ghazipur area, sweeping people and vehicles into a nearby canal, is a ----------(2) --------- reminder that India’s neglected waste management crisis can have deadly consequences. More than a year after the notification of the much-delayed Solid Waste Management Rules, cities and towns are in no position to --------- (3) --------- with its stipulations, beginning with the ---------- (4) ---------- of different kinds of waste at source and their scientific processing. Neither are urban local governments treating the 62 million tonnes of waste generated annually in the country as a potential resource. They have left the task of value extraction mostly to the informal system of garbage collectors and recyclers. Improving on the national record of collecting only 80% of waste generated and being able to process just 28% of that quantum, requires behaviour modification among citizens and institutions. But what is more important is that the municipal bodies put in place an integrated system to transport and process what has been segregated at source. The Swachh Bharat programme of the Centre has ----------- (5) ------------- too narrowly on individual action to keep streets clean, without concurrent pressure on State and municipal authorities to move closer to scientific management by the deadline of April 2018 set for most places, and arrest the spread of pollution from trash. In the ----------- (6)------------ of stakeholders at the local body level, recoverable resources ---------(7)------------- in discarded materials are lost due to dumping. Organic refuse, which forms about 50% of all garbage, readily lends itself to the generation of compost or production of methane for household use or power generation.
1. Option b fits correctly in the context
2. Stark means harsh and threatening in manner or appearance.
3. Option a, and option e are antonyms. Option b, c are synonyms but grammatically not correct
4. Comply means agree. Comply with is correct form. Option b, c are synonyms but not grammatically not correct. Option d, and c are antonyms.
5. Segregation means set apart. Option b, c are synonyms but cannot fit in the content. Option a, e are antonyms.
6. The word ‘Absence’ fits correctly in the context. Option a, c, d, e all are antonyms.
7. Embedded means to fix into a surrounding mass, which fits correctly in the context.