Key FactsLaunched at: Atal Tinkering Lab’s Community Day in New Delhi
Organized By: NITI Ayog
- To make an attempt to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To provide a stage to promote world-class innovation hubs, grand challenges, start-up businesses and many other self-employment activities especially in technology driven areas.
- All Decisions related to this mission will b taken by High-Level Committee and decisions may be like approval of necessary guidelines, prize money and implementation of many components of Atal Innovation Mission.
- A mission Director and other competent manpower will be hired by NITI Ayog
- This innovation mission is set to boost the ecosystem and to catalyse entrepreneurial vitality in the country.
- In a budget of the financial year 2015-16, Finance minister stated to set up Atal Innovation Mission and to achieve this mission a tool named "SETU" (Self-Employment and Talent Utilization) will be set up.
- A budget for AIM is Rs 500 and for SETU is of Rs 100 crore which is set by the NITI Ayog.
- As a result of the announcement, NITI Ayog established a committee of Professional on innovation and Entrepreneurship under the chairmanship of Prof. Tarun Khanna, Director, South Asia Institute, Harvard University.
- Detailed outlines of AIM and SETU determined by the USA experts.
- A committee suggested a three-stage plan to achieve a goal like a short-term plan, a mid-term plan, and a long-term plan.
- A committee also indicated a clear system to implement, evaluate, monitor and control.
- Atal innovation mission is an umbrella scheme which is divided into two subparts
- SETU(Self-Employment and Talent Utilization)
Core functions or objectives of ATAL INNOVATION MISSION
1) Promotion of Entrepreneurship by SETUIn this, innovators will be encouraged and guided to be prosperous entrepreneurs.
2) Innovation promotionA platform is provided where unique ideas will be generated
To achieve these two core functions, ATAL INNOVATION MISSION has set different compartments.
1) Atal Incubation Centres
- It aims to invent and encourage incubation centres all over the nation which promote start-ups and innovators in different sectors like production, transportation, energy, well-being, learning, farming, water and cleanliness and to furnish necessary infrastructural facilities and many other value-added services. The AICs will create world-class incubation facilities and create scalable and sustainable enterprises with capital equipment, experts for mentoring the start-ups, business planning support, initial fund, business partners, training and many other elements for encouraging innovative start-ups.
- Higher educational institutions, R&D institutes, corporate sector, alternative investment funds registered with SEBI, business accelerators, group of people, and people are eligible to apply.
- AIM provides assistance of Rs 10 crore to each Atal Incubation Centres for five years to cover capital and operational expenditure.
- For the AIC, the applicant will have to provide at least 10,000 sq. ft. for use.
2) Atal Tinkering Laboratories
- Through this medium, a goal is to Cultivate one Million School children in India as innovators.
- The aim is to promote curiosity, creativity, intelligence, invention, designing, learning, computing in growing child.
- ATL provides a platform where a shape is given to ideas and skills and children will get an opportunity to work with tools and equipment for the basics of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, electronics, robotics, open source microcontroller boards, sensors and 3D printers, video conference facility.
- AIM provides Rs 10 lakh for a period of 5 years.
3) Scale up support to established Incubation Centres (EIC)
- To build world-class incubation centres all over India by providing infrastructural support and specialists to guide start-up businesses and improve an ecosystem by establishing a link among incubation centres, Universities and corporates. This will provide financial scale-up support to qualified Incubation Centres.
- EIC must have been in working status for at least 3 years and it must be recorded in India as a public, private or public-private partnership.
- AIM will give assistance of Rs 10 crores in more than two instalments.
- The main purpose of EIC is to increase the capacity of qualified and settled centres.
Highlights of Atal Innovation Mission
- NITI Ayog is going to launch a strategic nation-building initiative name "Mentor India Campaign" to guide and mentor more than 900 students in Atal Tinkering Labs.
- Labs are non-prescriptive by nature and mentors are supposed to behave like instructors.
- Leaders who will spend one to two hours on each week in labs to empower experience of students, study and exercise future skills like a design.
- A core intention of the tinkering labs is to give chance to students and children to learn the joy of experimentation and learning and for this government is providing aids to students, young entrepreneurs and small businesses and this will make ecosystem strong and efficient.
- ATL provides a platform where students of class6th to 12th learn innovation skills and develop ideas which will transform India.
- ATL has a target to set and join more than 900 schools all over India and target is to join 2000 schools at the end of 2017.
- The idea behind launching this mission is to build and develop which starts from a growing age.
- To make this mission effective and bring a fruitful result, more than 30 corporate leaders from top Indian companies have signed as a representative.
- Mentors are going to cover areas like technical know-how, reformation and design, giving motivation, and business and entrepreneurship.
- Mentors are going to discuss problems of our society and how to overcome it by innovative ideas.
- These mentors are working as volunteers who will get a digital certificate of recognition.
List of Mentors
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma, co-founder of Paytm
- Bhavish Aggarwal, Ola co-founder
- Zivame founder, Richa Kar
- Amitabh Kant, Niti Aayog CEO
- Deep Kalra (founder of Make My Trip)
- ICICI MD and CEO Chanda Kochar,
- Mobikwik co-founder Bipinpreet Singh,
- NEarbuy founder Ankur Warikoo,
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here