- Date of start: 4th January 2018
- Date of completion: 10th March 2018
- Started by: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
- Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri
- Venue: Delhi
- Covering cities and town: 4041 (500+3541)
- Total marks: 4000 marks
- Objective: To encourage citizen involvement and educate them about to make cities and town a cleaner and better place.
Highlights of Swachh Survekshan 2018
This Survekshan has been divided ranking into two categories:1) National Ranking: Those 500 cities whose population is more than 1 lakh will be covered in the national ranking.
2) State and Regional Ranking: Those 3541 cities whose population is less than 1 lakh population will be covered in state and regional ranking.
|National Ranking||500||More than 1 lakh|
|State and Regional Ranking||3541||Less than 1lakh|
- This is the largest survey which influences more than 40 crore urban area population as well as small cities.
Method of collecting data is classified into three categories:
- Collection of data from interactions with Municipal Body/service level progress: 35% weightage will depend on whether the municipal body is implementing Swachh mission or not after verifying all physical document.
- Collection of data from Direct Observation: Under this, 30% weightage will be given on the basis of general cleanliness in cities.
- Collection of data from Citizen Feedback: Under this, 35% weightage depend on citizen feedback. The Citizen can only participate in the survey if citizen resides in the state from last 1 year (at least).
- Under the category of Collection of data from Citizen Feedback, the citizen can participate in online surveyor by downloading Swachhata App.
- Till date, more than 49 lakhs citizens have already downloaded the app.
- Comparison of component weightage from the previous year.
|Component||Weightage of 2018||Weightage of 2017|
|Interactions with Municipal Body||35%||45%|
Survey conduct on the basis of six parameters
- By Collecting and Transportation of Municipal Solid Waste: In this parameter, Government will observe that municipal corporation segregated the dry and wet waste and collecting household garbage regularly and keeping public area clean
- Processing and Disposal of Municipal Solid Waste: In this parameter, government keep an eye that waste is recycling or not.
- Sanitation-related progress: under this parameter, the government will ensure that public toilet is clean even petrol pump’s toilet and another public toilet.
- IEC (Information, Education, and Communication): Under this parameter government will check about how cities are creating awareness among the public regarding swachh surveksan, management of waste material, cleaning the public toilet, etc.
- Capacity Building: It will check that officials were provided opportunities to attend training.
- Innovation and Best Practices: This parameter is new in this survey. This will encourage cities to come forward and do something innovative in making India clean and open defecation free by October 2019.
Past two years winner of Swachh Survekshan
|Years||Urban Local bodies (ULB)||Winner|
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here