Full Form: Study Webs of Active –Learning for Young Aspiring Minds
Launched: On 1st February 2017 (day of budget)by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
What is SWAYAM?
- It is an MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) platform.
- SWAYAM is an instrument for self-actualization providing opportunities for a life-long learning.
- In this platform a person can choose from hundreds of courses which are generally taught at the university, college and school level.
- The courses shall be offered by best teachers in India and elsewhere.
- This is done through an indigenous developed IT platform that facilitates hosting of all the courses from class IX till post-graduation to be accessed by anyone at any time.
- All the courses are interactive and are free of cost to the residents in India. More than 1,000 specially chosen faculty and teachers from across the Country have participated in preparing these courses.
- A student studying in a college can transfer the credits earned by taking these courses into their academic record. If you are working or in school, SWAYAM presents a unique educational opportunity to expand the horizons of knowledge.
- Professors of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs, central universities will offer online courses to citizens of India.
- All courses would be offered free of cost under this programme however fees would be levied in case learner requires certificate.
- This programme has been started by GOI and is set up to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy - access, equity and quality.
- The objective of this effort is to take the best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged.
- This initiative aims to join the gap for people who are still far from enjoying the fruits of digitization and those who have not joined the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
- The courses on this platform will be in 4 parts – Video lecture, specially prepared reading material (downloadable/printable), Self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and an online discussion forum for clearing the doubts.
- Steps have been taken to enrich the learning experience by using audio-video and multi-media and state of the art pedagogy / technology.
In order to ensure best quality content are produced and delivered, seven National Coordinators have been appointed:
NPTEL for engineering
UGC for post-graduation education
CEC for under-graduate education
NCERT & NIOS for school education
IGNOU for out of the school students
IIMB for management studies.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here