Lockheed, Tata to make F-16 in India
- U.S. aircraft major 'Lockheed Martin' and Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) signed an agreement to manufacture the F-16 Block 70 fighter aircraft in India to meet the Indian Air Force’s single-engine jet requirement
- F-16 Block 70 fighter jet will replace Russian MiG-21s
Namma Metro breaches 3 lakh mark
- Namma Metro set a new record as the first full day of commercial operations on the entire Green Line led to 3,07,543 lakh passengers commuting across Phase I.
- Namma Metro: It is also known as Bengaluru Metro. It is a metro system serving the city of Bengaluru. It is currently the second largest operational metro network in India after the Delhi metro.
- BMRCL: The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd
Vocab from the ArticleCommuter: a person who travels some distance to work on a regular basis.
As used in the Article: The Green Line, which ferried around 60,000 passengers daily before Monday, carried over 1.13 lakh passengers between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. BMRCL is targeting a daily average of 5 lakh commuters in the next few months.
Scorpene submarines to join Navy without AIP modules
- The Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system is meant to extend the reach of the conventional diesel-electric submarines
- AIP enables submarines to stay underwater for longer span
Vocab from the ArticleScuttle: deliberately cause (a scheme) to fail.
As used in the Article: The AIP module is being developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and was supposed to be installed before the submarines roll out. However, a delay in development seems to scuttle the plan.
India, Afghanistan open air freight route
- India and Afghanistan inaugurated a dedicated air freight corridor service
- The connectivity established through the Air Freight Corridor will provide Afghanistan, a landlocked country, greater access to markets in India
Vocab from the ArticleUsher: show or guide (someone) somewhere; cause or mark the start of something new.
As used in the Article: Direct connectivity between India and Afghanistan will usher in prosperity. I thank President Ashraf Ghani for the initiative.”
SAARC start-ups meeting to work out mutually beneficial ideas
- India will host a summit for start-ups from SAARC nations later this year
Vocab from the ArticleReplicate: make an exact copy of; reproduce.
As used in the Article: “There will be an exchange of ideas between the two countries’ start-ups, so our entrepreneurs can stay in touch with what’s happening there and if there are some things their government has done, that we could replicate,” the Minister explained.
Shashi Shanker to be next ONGC chief
- hashi Shanker will be the next chairman and managing director of India’s biggest oil and gas producer, ONGC.
- Public Enterprise Selection Board (PESB), selected Mr. Shanker to head Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) from October 1.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here