Some important points about the FIFA U-17 world cups are-
- England has won the FIFA U-17 World Cup.
- Phil Foden of England has been adjudged as tournament’s best player and has been awarded ‘Golden Ball’ for the same.
- Brazil and USA both the country share the same record for most participation in the FIFA U-17 World Cup. Both of them are contesting their 16th U-17 World Cup in this edition.
- Spain defeated by 5-2 from England in the final match.
- Another Player from England, Rhian Brewster who scored the most goals in the tournament (8 goals) has been awarded ‘Golden Shoe’.
- Gabriel Brazao the goalkeeper of Brazil’s national football team has won the ‘Golden Glove’.
- The final match was held on October 28, 2017 in Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
- The official Mascot for the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017, clouded leopard named ‘Kheleo’ was revealed on February 10, 2017 in New Delhi at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. The clouded leopard is a rare and vulnerable wild cat, which can be found in the Himalayan foothills.
India’s contributions in FIFA U-17 World Cup-
- India’s first match in FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 was against USA.
- For the first time a team, representing India will participate in the finals of a FIFA-organised world tournament, let alone the Under-17 FIFA World Cup.
- India are the 18th Asian team to take part in the U-17 World Cup.
- Luís Norton de Matos' appointed as coach of India’s FIFA U-17 World cup.
- Under Captain Amarjit Singh lost the match to Americans by 3-0.
- The match was played at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on October 6, 2017.
- Namit Deshpande, from Maryland, USA, becoming the first Non Resident Indian (NRI) to represent India in an International football match across any age group.
- Jeakson Singh, scored India’s first goal in the FIFA Under-17 World Cup 2017 during a match against Colombia on October 9, 2017.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here