SAARC: South Asian Association for Regional cooperation
- Its Secretariat is headquartered in Kathmandu, Nepal.The organization promotes development of economic and regional integration
- 1st SAARC Summit was held on 8th Dec 1985Present secretary general-Amjad B. Hussain of Pakistan
- Official language- English
- SAARC comprises 3% of the world's area, 21% of the world's population and 3.8% (US$2.9 trillion) of the global economy, as of 2015.
- Members: At present there are 8 members.
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka are founder members of SAARC. In 2007, Afghanistan was granted full membership.
- Observes: There are 9 states having observer status of SAARC. They are
- Australia, China, the European Union (EU), Iran, Japan, Mauritius, Myanmar, South Korea and the United States.
BRICS: Brazil, Russia, India, CHina, South Africa
- BRICS is an annual meeting of five countries.
- In 2006, Brazil, Russia, India and China began a regular informal diplomatic coordination initiative, with annual meetings of Foreign Ministers at the margins of the General Debate of the UN General Assembly (UNGA). This successful interaction led to the decision that the dialogue was to be carried out at the level of Heads of State and Government in annual Summits.
- The First BRIC Summit was held in Yekaterinburg (Russia) in 2009.
- The depth and scope of the dialogue among the Members of BRIC group – which became BRICS in 2011 with the inclusion of South Africa
- BRICS nations collectively account for 43% of the world population, with around 25% of the world’s total land area and close to 30 % of the GDP with around 17 % share in the world trade.
- First BRIC summit was held in- Yekaterinburg, in 2009
- Second BRICS summit was held in-Brazil in 2010
- 9th BRICS summit was held in- Xiamen province of China
- 10th BRICS summit will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa- 2018
BIMSTEC: Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation
- It is formed by the member countries dependent on Bay of Bengal
- It was established on 6th June 1997
- BIMSTEC is an outcome of Bangkok declaration
- Headquarters of BIMSTEC-Dhaka
- Member countries: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal
IBSA Dialogue Forum
- IBSA Dialogue Forum for India, Brazil and South Africa
- The forum provides the three countries with a platform to engage in discussions for cooperation in the field of agriculture, trade, culture, and defence among others.
IORA: Indian Ocean Rim Association
- It is an international organisation consisting of coastal states bordering the Indian Ocean
- Headquarters of IORA- Ebene cyber city, Mauritius
- Presently it has 21 members
- Present secretary general- K V Bhagirath from India
- It is established on 6th March 1997
G-20: (Group 20)
- G-20 is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors of 20 countries (19 countries + European union)
- It was established in 1999
- G20 aims to discuss policy pertaining to the promotion of international financial stability.
- The main purpose of G-20 Bring together systemically important industrialized and developing economies to discuss key issues in the global economy
- G20 economies account for 80% of world trade, two-thirds of the world population, and approximately half of the world land area.
- In 2017 G-20 summit was held in Hamburg in Germany
- In 2019 G-20 summit will be held in Tokyo (Japan)
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here