- Implementing Ministry: The Ministry of Women and Child Development
- Aim: The Scheme aims to provide support for rehabilitation to Homeless women.
- The Scheme envisions transitional shelter to women in need by creating an institutional framework that empowers women and provides necessary access to support services.
- The Scheme envisages that shelter, food, clothing, and health needs, as well as economic and social security, are assured for such women.
- Under the Scheme, Swadhar Greh will be set up in every district with a capacity of 30 women with the following objectives:
- Provide residential accommodation for a short period with some basic facilities. I.e. food, clothing, medical facilities etc.
- Vocational and skill up gradation training for economic rehabilitation of such women
- Counselling, awareness generation and behavioural training
- Legal aid and Guidance
- Counselling through telephone
Components of the Scheme :
- Construction grant will be provided for construction of the building. It will be provided to concerned State Governments, Municipal Corporations, Cantonment Boards and Panchayati Raj Institutions only. The implementing agency will provide the Land at free of cost.
- If such women living in a rented house, then rent will be provided. Maximum rent to be provided for a Swadhar Greh for 30 residents = As a grant, they will receive Rs. 50,000/- per month in grade ‘A’ cities, Rs. 30,000/- per month in grade ‘B’ cities and Rs. 18,000/- at other places.
- Support for Recurring and non-recurring expenses for the management of this scheme
- Provide basic amenities such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care, the pocket expense for residents and their children
- Provision of counselling, legal aid, vocational training and guidance.
- The beneficiaries of the Swadhar Greh Scheme are women without any social and economic support, above 18 years of age, including:
- Women who have been deserted;
- Women suffered from natural disasters and rendered homeless;
- Women prisoners released from jail and are without family support;
- Women who needed to leave the home because of domestic violence, family tension or discord or marital dispute
- Women rescued from trafficking operations or those who have run away from brothels or other places where they face exploitation and women affected by HIV/AIDS who have been abandoned. However such women should first seek assistance under Ujjawala Scheme in areas where it is in operation.
Pattern of Assistance:
- Central Government (Ministry of Women & Child Development) will provide 100 per cent funding as Grant-in-aid to the implementing agencies.
Latest Current Affairs Related to the Scheme :
- Widows’ home ‘Krishna Kutir’ was inaugurated by the Ministry of Women and Child. It is a special home for 1000 windows set under Swadhar Greh scheme and is the largest ever facility of its kind created by a government organization. The aim was to mitigate the plight of widows living in pathetic condition in Vrindavan.
Important Points from Exam Point of View :
- Nodal Ministry: The Ministry of Women and Child Development
- Aim: The Scheme envisions transitional shelter to women in need by creating an institutional framework that empowers women and provides necessary access to support services.
- Swadhar Greh will be set up in every district with the capacity of ___ Woman: 30
- Assistance: 100 % fund to be given by the Central Government
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here