- The word Nari Shakti is chosen as the word of the Year 2018 by the Oxford dictionaries. The announcement regarding this was made in the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF).
- Bharat Parv was organised as part of Republic Day celebrations at Red Fort, Delhi to generate a patriotic fervour and promote the rich cultural diversity of the country. Bharat Parv showcases the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- Ministry for Science and Technology inaugurated the three Department of Science and Technology (DST) mission centres at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) at the collective cost of Rs 50 crore.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will launch a new train Samantha Express which will cover prominent places associated with Gautam Buddha and chief architect of the Constitution Dr B R Ambedkar.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of National Bench of Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunal. Section 109 of Chapter XVIII Chapter of CGST Act empowers the Central Government to constitute an Appellate Tribunal known as the Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunal for hearing on the recommendation of Council
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana. Under the scheme, a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a government-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year. People of Indian-origin aged 45 to 65 can apply can avail the benefits under the scheme.
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Armoured Systems Complex (ASC), developed by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) at Hazira near Surat in Gujarat. This Armoured Systems Complex (ASC) is the country’s first private facility where the K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer guns will be manufactured.
- British government has announced South Asian Nitrogen Hub a research project to study nitrogen pollution in India and South Asia. The project led by UK’s Centre for Ecology and Hydrology will partner with 50 organisations from the UK and South Asia.
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa delivered the first IBSA Gandhi-Mandela Memorial Freedom Lecture.
- Rio de Janeiro has been recognised as ‘World Capital of Architecture’ for 2020 by The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
- The “Conference of Rulers” elected 59 years old Sultan Abdullah who is the ruler of the Malaysian state of Pahang as new King for the period of 5 years
- Madhya Pradesh government has announced Yuva Swabhiman Yojana with an aim to provide employment for the unemployed youth from the economically weaker sections of the society. The scheme aims to provide 100 days of employment to youngsters from economically weaker sections of the society in urban areas.
- The government of Kerala has launched ‘Pravasi Dividend Pension Scheme. Under the scheme, a regular pension would be provided to Non-Resident Keralites on a one-time payment of Rs 5 lakh.
- The government of Uttar Pradesh celebrated UP Divas for the first time on 24th January 2019.
- The states of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya celebrated their 47th Statehood Day on 21st January. The states of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya became full-fledged states on January 21, 1972.
- The Chief Minister of Tripura Biplab Kumar Deb unveiled the official logo of Tripura Tea. The Tripura Tea logo features Neermahal, the iconic landmark of Tripura.
- The government of Odisha announced a hike of Rs 200 per month in the social security pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY). The Scheme was instituted by merging the two pension schemes i.e. namely, Revised Old Age Pension Rules, 1989 and Disability Pension Rules, 1985.
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank got approval from RBI and reappointed Parthasarathi Mukherjee as its managing director for the next two years.
- Yes bank has elected Ravneet Singh Gill as the MD.
Summits and Conferences
- The 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the ‘Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products; Advancing global collaboration’ organised on 23-25 January 2019 at Goa.
- National Conference on Self Reliance in Defence Manufacturing is organised at Hyderabad.
- Rio de Janeiro will host the World Congress of the International Union of Architects (UIA) in July 2020. The theme of the 2020 World Congress of the International Union of Architects is “All the worlds. Just one world,”
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here