National awards and honors
The international Gandhi peace price
- The international Gandhi peace price, named after Mohandas Gandhi, is awarded annually by the government of India.
- As a tribute to the ideals concepts exposed by Gandhi the government of India launched the international Gandhi peace price in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mohandas Gandhi.
- This award given to individuals or institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- The award carries Rs10 million in cash, convertible in any currency in the world a plaque and a citation. It is open to all persons regardless of nationality, race, freed or sex.
- A jury consisting of the Prime Minister of India, Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Chief Justice of India and two other eminent persons decides the awardee each year.
Jawaharlal Nehru award
- The Jawaharlal Nehru award for the international understanding is an international award presented by the government of India in honor of Jawaharlal Nehru, the country first prime minister.
- It was established in 1965 and is administered by the Indian council for cultural relation to people for their outstanding contribution to the promotion of international understanding, goodwill and friendship among people.
- The money amount for this award is about 2.5 million rupees.
- The Jnanpith award is a literacy award. It is one of the two most prestigious literacy honors in the country. The other one is Sahitya Akademi fellowship.
- The award was instituted in 1961. Any Indian citizen who writes in any of the official language of India is eligible for this award.
- The award is presented by the Bharatiya Jnanpith, a trust founded by the Sahu Jain family, the publishers of The Times of India newspaper.
Sahitya Akademi award
- The award was established in 1954 to honor the outstanding works in the sphere of literary by Sahitya Akademi the national academy of letters in India.
- The award is conferred for the works done in 24 major languages of India including English.
- The awards in the form of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque, a shawl and a cheque of Rs.1,00,000/- was presented to the authors by Sahitya Akademi.
Dadasaheb Phalke award
- The Dadasaheb Phalke award is India’s highest award in cinema given annually by the government of India for the lifetime contribution to Indian cinema.
- This award was introduced in 1969 the birth centenary year of Dadasaheb Phalke.
- He was considered as the father of Indian cinema award is given to recognize the contribution of personalities towards the development of Indian cinema and for distinguished contribution to the medium its growth and promotion.
- The award carries golden lotus medal, a cash prize of Rs.10 lakh.
- The Arjuna awards were instituted in 1961 by the government of India to recognize outstanding achievement in National sports.
- It is the second highest awards given to sports persons, carries a scroll of honor and a cash award of Rs 5 lakh.
- Dronacharya award is an award presented by the government of India for the excellence in sports coaching.
- The award comprises a bronze statuette of Dronacharya a scroll of honor and a cash component of Rs.500,000-.
- It was instituted in 1985.
Dhyan Chand award
- It is India’s highest award for lifetime achievement in sports and games given by the government of India.
- The award is named after the legendary Indian hockey Player Dhyan Chand.
- The award was instituted in the year 2002.
- It carries a cash prize of INR 5 lakh, a statuette, ceremonial dress and a scroll of honor.
International awards and Honors
- The Nobel Prize started by Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel
- It is awarded in the field of Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Physics and Medicine.
- It is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awards the Nobel Prize in Physics and Chemistry, and the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences; the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institute awards the Nobel Prize in Medicine; the Swedish Academy grants the Nobel Prize in Literature; and the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded not by a Swedish organization but by the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
- The prize includes a gold medal, a diploma, and a sum of money that has been decided by the Nobel Foundation.
- The prize is not awarded posthumously but if a person is awarded a prize and dies before receiving it then the prize may still be presented.
- Though the average number of laureates per prize increased substantially during the 20th century a prize may not be shared among more than three people.
The Fundamental Physics Prize
- The Fundamental Physics Prize was founded in July 2012 by physicist and internet entrepreneur Yuri Milner.
- It is awarded for physicists involved in fundamental research
- It is awarded by the Fundamental Physics Prize Foundation a not-for-profit organization which was founded by physicist and internet entrepreneur Yuri Milner.
- This prize is most lucrative academic prize in the world and is more than twice as big as the amount given to the Nobel Prize awardees.
- Physics Frontiers Prize laureates who didn’t go to be awarded the Fundamental Physics Prize will each receive $300,000 and will automatically be re-nominated for the Fundamental Physics Prize each year for the next 5 years.
Ramon Magsaysay Award
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is an annual award established to perpetuate former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation gives prize to Asian individuals achieving excellence in their respective fields.
- Government Service (1958–2008)
- Public Service (1958–2008)
- Community Leadership (1958–2008)
- Journalism, Literature and Creative Communication Arts (1958–2008)
- Peace and International Understanding (1958–2008)
- Emergent Leadership (2001– )
- The prize was established in April 1957 by the trustees of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund based in New York City with the concurrence of the Philippine government.
- This award is often considered as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
- The Pulitzer Prize was established by provisions and the will of American Joseph Pulitzer a newspaper publisher.
- It is awarded for achievements in newspaper, magazine, online journalism, literature, and musical composition.
- The Prizes are awarded yearly in twenty-one categories. In twenty of the categories each winner receives a certificate and a US$10,000 cash award rose to $15,000 in 2017.
- The winner in the public service category of the journalism competition is awarded with Gold.
Man Booker Prize
- The Man Booker Prize is a literary prize awarded for the best original novel written in the English language and published in the UK.
- This award is presented by Man Group.
- The prize money awarded for the Booker Prize was originally £21,000 and was subsequently raised to £50,000 under the sponsorship of the Man Group making it one of the world's richest literary prizes.
- The winner of the Man Booker Prize is generally assured as international renown and success therefore the prize is of great significance for the book trade.
- The Abel Prize was established in 2001 by the Government of Norway and named after Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel (1802–29)
- It is a Norwegian prize awarded annually by the Government of Norway to one or more outstanding mathematicians for their contribution to mathematics.
- This award comes with a monetary award of 6 million Norwegian kroner around (€ 600,000).
- The award ceremony takes place in the Atrium of University of Oslo Faculty Of Law, where the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded between 1947 and 1989.
- The prize board has also established an Abel symposium, administered by the Norwegian Mathematical Society.
World Food Prize
- Conceived by Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Norman Borlaug the prize emphasizes the importance of a nutritious and sustainable food supply for all the people.
- Borlaug saw the prize as a means of establishing role models who would inspire others.
- It is an international award recognizing the achievements of individuals who had advanced human development by improving the quality, quantity or availability of food in the world.
- It is presented by World Food Prize Foundation, with various sponsor companies. The winners receive 250,000 USD
- The World Food Prize laureates are formally honored at the World Food Prize Laureate Award Ceremony annually on or near the World Food Day (16 October).
Order of Australia
- The Order of Australia is an order of chivalry was established on 14 February 1975 by Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia to recognize Australian citizens and other persons for their achievement and meritorious service.
- Before the establishment of the Order Australian citizens received British honors.
- The Queen of Australia is Sovereign Head of the Order; The Governor General is Principal Companion, Dame, Knight and Chancellor of the Order. The Governor-General's Official Secretary is Secretary of the Order.
- It is awarded for achievement and merit in service to Australia or humanity.
- Awards in the Order of Australia are sometimes made to people who are not citizens of Australia to honor extraordinary achievements
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here