Highlights of the survey:
- Name of the survey-Swachh Survekshan-2018
- Announced by- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
- Number of Municipalities covered-4,203
- Cleanest city in India-Indore
- Best Performing state-Jharkhand
- Cleanest city among municipal bodies-New Delhi
- Cleanest among all state capitals-Mumbai
Swachh Survekshan 2018
- Swachh Survekshan 2018, which was the first pan Indian exercise to assess cleanliness in urban India, surveyed 4,203 cities from January 4 to March 10, 2018.
- In the Swachh Survekshan-2018, total 37.66 lakh citizens gave their feedback, which covered 4,203 municipal areas across the country
The Per Capita investment on waste management is very high for all big cities that top Swachh Survekshan list. Our Corporations cannot afford that.-- By Dr R.Ajayakumar Varma(Executive Director, Suchitwa Mssion )
How the survey is conducted?Under this survey, cities will be ranked based on 71 sanitation related parameters with different weightages for a total of 4,000 marks. Total score has been doubled this time to avoid crowding of cities with very marginal differences in scores that happened in the previous survey.
Sanitation component-wise weightages:
|Component||Weightages in 2018 Survey||Weightages in 2017 Survey|
|ODF progress||30 %||30 %|
|Collection & Transportation of
|Processing & disposal
of solid waste
|Assessment category||Weightages in 2018 Survey||Weightages in 2017 Survey|
|Service level progress
(Infrastructure creation, processes, operations)
|Independent field observation||25%||30%|
Key Outcomes in the survey:
- Indore in Madhya Pradesh is emerged as cleanest city in India
- Bhopal and Chandigarh has been ranked as second and third cleanest cities in India
- Among municipal bodies with less than three lakh population New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) emerged as the cleanest city
- Greater Mumbai was found to be the cleanest among all state capitals.
- Vijayawada is cleanest among big cities having more than one million population
- Mysuru has emerged as the cleanest among cities with population of three lakh to one million.
Other important points:
- Cleanest City (Population >10 lakh): Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
- Cleanest City (Population 3-10 lakh): Mysuru, Karnataka
- Cleanest City (Population 1-3 lakh): NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council)
- Best city in Innovation and Best practices: Nagpur
- Best city in Solid Waste Management: Navi Mumbai
India’s Cleanest City Zone-Wise:
- North: Bhalso, Punjab
- East: Bundu, Jharkhand
- North-East: Kakching, Manipur
- South: Siddipet, Telangana
- West: Panchgani, Maharashtra
Which of the following ministry organized Swachh Survekshan 2018?a. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
b. Ministry of rural development
c. Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
d. None of the above
Question 2:As per Swachh Survekshan-2018 which state has been declared the best-performing state?
a. Madhya Pradesh
d. Andhra Pradesh
Solution: Jharkhand has been declared the best-performing state, followed by Maharashtra, in this year's Swachh Survekshan.
Question 3:Which of the following is not correct with respect to Swachh Survekshan-2018?
a. It is evaluated on six parameters Collection and transportation of municipal solid waste (30 percent) Processing and disposal of solid waste (25%) IEC (Information, Education and Communication) (5%), Capacity building (5%), Innovation and best practices (5 %)
b. Mumbai has bagged the tag of the cleanest state capital in India in the Swachh Survekshan (cleanliness survey) 2018
c. The survey assessed sanitation in all 4,041 cities and towns of the country.
d. All are correct
Question 4:Which of the following city emerged as cleanest among big cities having more than one million population?
Solution: Vijayawada is cleanest among big cities having more than one million population while Mysuru has emerged as the cleanest among cities with pollution of three lakh to one million.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here