- The Payment Regulatory Board (independent of RBI) was proposed by Ratan Watal committee to promote competition & innovation in the payment network in India.
- At present, Board for Regulation & Supervision of Payment & Settlement systems supervises the payment network in India.
- Latest Budget has suggested that the Payment Regulatory Board to setup in the RBI consisting of 6 members.
(ii) The chairman of the board will be RBI Governor.
(iii) Deputy Governor of RBI in charge of Payments & Settlements will also be a member.
Need of the proposal
- The Payment & Settlement Systems Act 2007 (PSS Act) constrains the reach of digital payments, thus supporting the cash proposals.
- It is Silent on data protection issues.
- Committee also states that the present law does not concentrate on supporting competition in the payments sector.
- Payment system is a more Technology- Business focused activity, which should be observed independently from the banking sector.
Importance of the proposal
- It is visualized that an independent body concentrated on the goal to enable digital payments would increase the digital payments from the current 5% to about 20% in three years.
Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement System
- It is a sub-committee of the Central Board of the RBI.
- It is the top policy making organization on payment systems.
- It has the power to approve, recommend policies & set standards to control & supervise all the payment & settlement systems in the country.
- It is a constitutional body set as per the Payment & Settlements Act 2007.
Few Recommendations of ‘Ratan Watal’ Committee:-
- A moderate term strategy for accelerating growth of Digital payments in India is required.
- The strategy should be backed with regulatory system which is favorable in bridging the Digital divide by supporting competition & open access in payments.
- Better use of Aadhar & mobile numbers for creating digital payments as easy as cash. This is needed besides, the enhanced digital security.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here