State mourns K.R. Mohanan
- People paid homage to Malayalam film director K.R. Mohanan
- KR Mohanan was passed away on June 25, 2017
U.S. terms Syed Salahuddin a global terrorist
- The State Department of USA has issued a notification, naming Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) leader Syed Salahuddin a “Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT).”
- He is actively involved in terrorist acitivities in the Kashmir Valley.
Biological E in vaccine tie-up with Takeda
- Japan’s Takeda and Biological E. Ltd. have agreed to collaborate on affordable combination vaccines.
- Takeda will transfer its measles and acellular pertussis vaccine bulk production technology to BE under license.
Lupin chief Gupta dead
- Lupin Ltd. founder and chairman Desh Bandhu Gupta passed away, recently.
- Lupin is the fourth-largest generics pharmaceutical player by market capitalisation in the world.
Remy Ma beats Nicki Minaj at BET Awards; '90s R B shines
- Remy Ma won the BET (Black Entertainment Television) Award.
Cabinet to consider proposal for outright sale of Air India
- The Union Cabinet is consuidering to divest the government's majority stake in the state-owned carrier Air India.
- The three options on the table are a full 100% sell-off, a 74% stake sale or retaining a 49% share in the airline, as per the note prepared by the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM).
Vocab from the Opinion-EditorialArticle: A controversial inheritance
Pander: gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire or taste or a person with such a desire or taste).
As used in the Article: Similarly, with contemporary standards of judicial behaviour, pronouncements *pandering* to the lowest common denominator.
Article: A controversial inheritance
- Brute: a savagely violent man or animal; unreasoning and animal-like
Article: Good news on the Zika frontManifestation: an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something abstract or theoretical; the action or fact of showing something.
As used in the Article: While infection by one serotype results in a lifelong immunity against it, infection by a different one results in an increased infectivity and more severe clinical *manifestations*.
Article: A controversial inheritanceProse: written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure; another term for sequence; talk tediously; dated
As used in the Article: The value of careful judicial *prose* declined as fidelity to law no longer mattered, what mattered was the show of ideological commitment.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here