This is our new initiative "Extracts from The Hindu". With this, our aim is to provide short, relevant and important material for Bank and SSC Exams. It will help you to learn
(1) Important current affairs, and
(2) Some Vocab from The Hindu
IMD to give malaria, chikungunya alerts
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) is working on a forecasting system to give 15-day warnings on the likelihood of a malaria or chikungunya outbreak, over different regions
- IMD is teamed up with the Medical Council of India and the Red Cross Society for generating this information(about malaria or chikungunya outbreak)
- The IMD’s National Climate Centre in Pune will provide such climate services
Vocab from the ArticleEngender: cause or give rise to (a feeling, situation, or condition)
As used in the Article: This rain was now being distributed over fewer days. “Also places that were once relatively drier are wetter and more humid [engendering conditions for water-logging and mosquito breeding] and our attempt is to give advance warnings to better prepare for outbreaks,” he added.
RedInk award for Vinod Dua
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will present the RedInk Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism for 2017 to veteran journalist Vinod Dua on June 7 in Mumbai.
- The award is instituted by the Mumbai Press Club.
- The RedInk Award for the ‘Journalist of the Year’ 2017 will be presented to Raj Kamal Jha, Chief Editor, Indian Express.
Nepal, China ink mega hydropower agreement
- Nepal has signed an agreement with a Chinese company to build the largest hydroelectric plant, 1,200 megawatt Budhi-Gandaki hydroelectric project.
Vocab from the Article
- Cripple: cause (someone) to become unable to walk or move properly; cause a severe and almost insuperable problem for.
- As used in the article: The result has been crippling for domestic industry and deterred foreign investment.
Alibaba picks up majority stake in TicketNew
- Chinese e-commerce firm Alibaba has decided to invest more than Rs. 120 crore to pick up a majority stake in Orbgen Technologies Private Limited, which runs ticketing website TicketNew
- Orbgen Technologies Private Limited is a Tamil Nadu based company.
Vocab from the Article
- Inception: the establishment or starting point of an institution or activity.
- As used in the Article: Stating that this was the maiden fund-raising exercise by Orbgen since inception, Mr. Nammalvar said this would bring growth money for the company and provide return on capital investment for the promoters.
PCA only a supervision tool, says RBI
- The RBI said its prompt corrective action (PCA), initiated in the case of some public sector banks with high NPAs, is a supervision tool and does not constrain normal banking operations for the public.
- PCA: RBI introduces Prompt Corrective Action when the Bank’s financial conditions worsen below certain limits (trigger points). The limit set are in the form of three conventional financial indicators which are called trigger points– CRAR, Net NPA and Return on Assets.
India successfully fires heaviest launch vehicle
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched its heaviest launch vehicle, GSLV MkIII-D1, and placed the country’s heaviest satellite till date, GSAT-19, into a precise orbit
- The GSAT-19, a communication satellite will enhance India’s communication infrastructure
- It was placed into a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) with a perigee (closest point to Earth) 170 km and apogee (farthest point from Earth) 35,975 km
- The satellite weighs 3,136 kg. This successful launch will enable India to launch 4-tonne class satellites from India
Vocab from the ArticlePlume: a long cloud of smoke or vapour resembling a feather as it spreads from its point of origin
As used in the Article: The rocket lifted off from the second launch pad into clear blue skies at 5.28 p.m., and soared above the moon which was rising in the evening, leaving a plume of smoke.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here