Key InformationDate of conference: January 9, 2018 (Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas)
Venue: New Delhi
Inaugurated by: Shri Narendra Singh Modi, Prime Minister of India
Hosted by: Smt Sushma Swaraj, Union Minister of External Affairs
Objective: To Strengthening the connection with Diasporas (migrants)
- India’s first PIO (People of Indian Origin) Parliamentary conference was held on the occasion of Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas.
- 124 MPs and 17 mayors of 23 countries came across to join this first conference.
- 124 MPs from Canada, Mauritius, Kenya, the UK, Fiji, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and other countries.
- Where, 17 mayors from US, Switzerland, Guyana, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago
- The conference has two thematic sessions:-
- PIO Parliamentarians: A journey from Struggle to Parliament
- Resurgent India: Role of PIO Parliamentarians
- The highest number of MPs and Mayor came from Guyana i.e. 20 MPs and 3 Mayor.
- 5MPs from Canada, 15 MPs from the United Kingdom and 16 MPs and 4 Mayors came from Trinidad and Tobago.
- Only 2 Mayors from the United States of America as senate were in session.
Highlights of Smt Sushma Swaraj’s Speech
- In her speech, she talked about Indian Diaspora in Girmitiya countries. Girmitiya is indentured labour (bind to serve their services).
- She also talked about initiates which have been taken by the current government.
- The Current government has only mission i.e. to remake India into a great nation.
Highlights of Shri Narendra Singh Modi’s Speech
- PM Narendra Singh Modi addressed the first parliamentarian conference as a mini world parliament because many Indian Diasporas who are MPs and mayor of many countries were sitting together under a roof.
- He also mentioned that persons of Indian origin are today Prime Ministers of Mauritius, Portugal, and Ireland.
- He also appreciated the efforts made by Smt Sushma Swaraj for continuously keeping an eye on the problems being faced by Indian citizens in abroad. In addition, he also highlighted the "MADAD" portal for real-time monitoring and response of consular grievances.
- In his speech, he added India is transforming.
- He also mentioned that NRI’s are partner for India development and have an important position in NITI action plan till 2020.
Key point of Transforming India
- India received $60 Billion FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) in 2016 -2017.
- 100th rank in ease of doing business. Ease of doing business report is published by World Bank.
- According to World economic forum (WEF), Global Competitiveness Index India place 40th position out of 137.
- In Global Innovation Index India places 60th position. This index is published by world intellectual property organization.
- 19 places jump in World Bank Logistic Performance Index. India improves its Ranking from 54 (in 2014) to 35 (in 2016).
- Institutions like World Bank, Moody’s, and IMF all look at India Positively.
Importance of PIO Parliamentary Conference
- It helps to strengthen Indian the relation with foreign countries.
- It also attracts the FDI; the conference is just a platform.
- Indian government’s objective is to make the stronger relationship with PIO across the world by organizing this conference.
Details about Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas"Father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi, the most prominent migrant, returned to India from South Africa on January 9. So, this particular date dedicated to the Diaspora and given the name of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. This day has been celebrated since 2003 as a Pravasi Bhartiya Divas. "
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here