Pick out the most suitable word from among the four responses given below each sentence to fill up the blanks.
1. It has been observed that income ___ widened between urban and rural areas.
2. The Judge recommended a severe punishment so that he ___ from drinking in future.
3. India believes in tolerance , not _____ in acceptance not rejection.
4. Noe that you have ____me, I shall have nothing to do with you in future.
5. Our education would have been in vain if it had not ___in us the habit to clear and independent thinking
6. America_____(discover) b y Columbus.
(a) had been discovered
(b) was discovered
7.I wish I ___ a bird.
(b) had been
8.It is time for you to ___(go) home.
(b) are going
(c) had gone
(d) were going
9. He often ___ (go) for a walk.
(b) had gone
(d) is going
10. He ___ (die) at a ripe old age.
(c) had died
(d) will die