Portugal’s Antonio Guterres set to be UN secretary general
- Portugal’s former Prime Minister Antonio Guterres (66-year)is poised to become the next Secretary General of the United Nations after the Security Council declared him to be the unanimous choice in the sixth straw poll.
- After the UNSC formal vote, Mr Guterres’ name will be officially transferred to the General Assembly.
- Guterres is expected to take over from Ban Ki-moon early next year.
- Earlier, he was the head of the UN refugee agency from 2005 to 2015.
Download IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Roopa Ganguly nominated to Rajya Sabha
- President Pranab Mukherjee has nominated Actress and BJP leader Roopa Ganguly (mythological character Draupadi in the series Mahabharat) to Rajaya Sabha.
- Roopa Ganguly has been nominated on a seat vacated by cricketer turned politician Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned in July this year.
- She has also done several Bengali and Hindi films including Bahar Ane Tak and Saugandh.
Sushil Chandra appointed as Chairman of CBDT
- The Union Government has appointed senior Indian Revenue Service (1980- batch) officer Sushil Chandra as the Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- He will succeed Rani Singh Nair, who will retire on 31st October, 2016.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes is nodal policy-making body of the Income Tax (IT) department under the Union Finance Ministry.
ISRO successfully launches GSAT-18 from Kourou in French Guiana
- India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 has successfully launched by a heavy duty rocket of Arianespace from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
- Earlier, the launch was originally scheduled for yesterday, but deferred by 24 hours owing to unfavourable weather conditions at Kourou.
- The satellite aims at providing telecommunications services for the country by strengthening ISRO’s current fleet of 14 operational telecommunication satellites.
Aadhaar card now mandatory to get cooking gas subsidy
- The Union government has made Aadhaar card mandatory for availing cooking gas (LPG) subsidies.
- It has given two months grace period for citizens to get the unique identification number.
- Govt currently gives 12 cylinders (14.2-kg) each at subsidised rates per household in a year.
- The subsidy on every cylinder is transferred in advance directly into bank accounts of individuals, who then buy the cooking fuel at market rates.
Nitin Gadkari launches Indian Bridge Management System
- Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari has launched the Indian Bridge Management System(IBMS).
- It aimed at ensuring safety of bridges in the country.
- IBMS is being developed to create an inventory of all bridges in the country and rate their structural condition so that timely repair and rehabilitation work can be carried out based on the criticality of the structure.
Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan, Green Building in BHU
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan and a Green Building in Banaras Hindu University .
- The Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan under the Institute of Agricultural Sciences, BHU has been so named to commemorate the Centenary year of University.
- The University’s first green building under the Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development is dedicated to Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya and his vision of green campus.
Finance Ministry sets up Public Debt Management Cell
- The Union Finance Ministry has set up a Public Debt Management Cell (PDMC) to streamline government borrowings and better cash management with the overall objective of deepening bond markets.
- An interim arrangement and will be upgraded to a statutory Public Debt Management Agency (PDMA) in about two years.
- PDMC will have only advisory functions to avoid any conflict with the statutory functions of RBI.
- PDMC has been tasked to plan government borrowings, including market borrowings and other borrowings, like Sovereign Gold Bond issuance.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here