- The Global Democracy Index 2019 is an index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). The index ranks 167 countries on 60 indicators across five broad categories. These categories are- the functioning of government, electoral process and pluralism, political participation, civil liberties and democratic political culture.
- Other than this, the index also classifies the countries in four different regimes namely- Full democracies, Flawed democracies, Hybrid regimes and Authoritarian regimes.
- The Global Democracy Index 2019 found that only 4.5% of the world’s population lives in a full democracy.
- For the first time in three years, the overall global score has remained stable in the year 2018.
- The report has also highlights that 42 countries have experienced a decline in their index scores as compared with 89 in 2017 while 48 countries have improved their score.
- The Index has been topped by Norway. It is followed by Iceland and Sweden.
- The entire Asia-Pacific region has only Australia and New Zealand as “full democracies”.
- The US has been ranked 25th in the index.
- The index further highlighted that 8 countries- Democratic Republic of Congo, Nepal, Algeria, Timor-Leste, Ethiopia, North Korea, Laos and Sri Lanka which have the word “democratic" in full as title were not fully democratic.
- North Korea has been placed last i.e. on 167th rank in the index.
Top 10 Countries-
- New Zealand
- India has been ranked 41st in the Global Democracy index 2019 with a score of 7.23.
- India has been termed as “Flawed Democracy” in the index. The index has always classified India as Flawed Democracy since the beginning i.e. 2006.
- A Flawed Democracy is a country where elections are fair and free. Other than this, basic civil liberties are also honored in such countries but these countries have some issues like media freedom infringement.
- India has performed worst in political culture, out of all the five parameters.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) is the research and analysis division of a British multinational media company "The Economist Group".
- EIU is headquartered in London, UK.
- The EIU is the world leader in global business intelligence and produce high quality research and data.
- First Global Democracy Index was released in the year 2006.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here