- Every year, the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) releases Global Peace Index (GPI) which is the world’s leading measure of peacefulness. The Global Peace Index 2019 was the 13th edition of GPI. This Global Peace Index of 2019 ranks 163 countries on the basis of peacefulness.
- The index ranks countries on the basis of 23 qualitative and quantitative indicators and three thematic domains- the level of Societal Safety and Security; the extent of Ongoing Domestic and International Conflict; and the degree of Militarization. The Global Peace Index 2019 also includes analysis of trends of Positive Peace along with the other findings.
- GPI, which covers 99.97% of the global population, found that the global peacefulness improved very slightly on an average level of in the GPI 2019.
- Iceland is the most peaceful country and has topped GPI 2019. Iceland has held the top position in the index since 2008.
- Afghanistan is the least peaceful country and has been ranked last in the index.
- The overall average change in the global peacefulness is -0.09 from 2018 to 2019. It means the average change in the score of a country is -0.09.
- In the Global Peace Index 2019, the peacefulness in 85 countries has improved while the condition in 76 countries has deteriorated.
- According to the Index, the Middle East and North Africa region has remained the least peaceful region while Europe is the most peaceful region.
- Out of the three thematic domains, Militarization has shown the largest improvement and 72 countries reduced their level of military expenditure as a percentage of GDP.
- Bhutan has made the biggest improvement of any country in the top 20. The country rose by 43 places in the last 12 years.
- Since 2008, the average level of global peacefulness has deteriorated by 3.78%.
- The global economic impact of violence has improved for the first time since 2012. It decreased by 3.3 per cent ($475 billion) from 2017 to 2018.
- Peacefulness in Asia-Pacific improved largely and 13 out of the 19 countries in the region have improved in 2019.
- Central America and the Caribbean region has deteriorated in all three domains of peacefulness from 2018.
- Europe is the most peaceful region and 22 countries out of 36 countries in the region have improved.
- Peace in the Middle East & North Africa region has marginally improved from 2018.
- Peace in North America region has deteriorated from 2018.
- Only Colombia, Uruguay and Chile have improved in South America region from 2018 and rest of the region has deteriorated.
- The average score South Asian region has improved from 2018 due to improvements in Nepal, Pakistan, Bhutan and a slight gain in Afghanistan.
- 27 out of 44 countries in the sub-Saharan Africa region have deteriorated in peacefulness.
|Top 5 Countries||Bottom 5 Countries|
|Iceland (Rank 1)||Iraq (Rank 159)|
|New Zealand (Rank 2)||Yemen (Rank 160)|
|Portugal (Rank 3)||South Sudan (Rank 161)|
|Austria (Rank 4)||Syria (Rank 162)|
|Denmark (Rank 5)||Afghanistan (Rank 163)|
India Specific Findings-
- India has come down 5 places to rank 141st out of 163 countries in the Global Peace Index 2019.
- India was ranked 136th in the GPI 2018.
- India is placed fifth in the South Asian region.
- India is one of the nine countries which have highest risk of multiple climate hazards according to the index.
- The Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) is a global think thank which is located in Sydney, Australia.
- The First Global Peace Index was launched in May 2007.
What's trending in BankExamsToday
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here